- Table View
- List View
Recounts the life story of the Englishwoman who financed her own overland trip to China to become a missionary.
When thousands of young people checked out of Western society and sought enlightenment in the East, Floyd and Sally McClung set aside the comforts of American suburbia and answered God's call to reach out to them with the gospel. In Kabul, Afghanistan, a key stop on the hippy trail, and later in Amsterdam, Holland, the West's own window to that trail, the McClungs committed themselves to meeting the penniless, the drugged, the sick, and the disillusioned right where they were. Whether among hippy seekers or the addicts and prostitutes of Amsterdam's infamous Red Light District, the McClungs lived out a message of hope. Living on the Devil's Doorstep is a dramatic example of the difference one family can make when they are willing to trust GOd and walk in obedience to His call for their lives. On every continent, in every nation, God is at work in and through the lives of believers. From the streets of Manila to mysterious Albania to the jungles of Ecuador and beyond. This and every title in the International Adventures series emerges as a dramatic episode that could be directed only by the hand of God. There are 14 books in this International Adventures series.
Searching since boyhood for the way to God, Sundar Singh found truth in Jesus Christ. At sixteen, the former Kikh became a Christian sadhu, or holy man, and at great risk devoted his life to Christ. With bare feet and few possessions, Sundar crossed the precarious Himalayas between India and Tibet many times, sharing the gospel with Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs--even theives. As he traveled, Sundar constantly read the Bible, prayed, and meditated, confident that God was always with him, even in the face of death. Preaching in Asia, Europe, and as far away as America, this Indian saint impacted thousands with his quiet yet bold words and actions.
This is a biography of the twentieth-century English missionary doctor who started hospitals, fishermen's cooperatives, schools, and an orphanage in the poor fishing communities of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.