- Table View
- List View
The fastest-selling book in publication history, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was a critical success and is loved by fans around the world. In The Deathly Hallows Lectures, John Granger reveals the Potter finale's brilliant details, themes and meanings. Even the most ardent of Harry Potter fans will be surprised by and delighted with the Hogwarts Professor's explanations of the four dimensions of meaning in Deathly Hallows to include: * why Ms. Rowling chose to make Lily's eyes green, * why Harry buried Moody's eye where and when he did, and * why Ollivander prefers the three wand cores he does. Ms. Rowling has said that alchemy sets the "parameters of magic" in the series; after reading the chapter-length explanation of Deathly Hallows as the final stage of the alchemical Great Work in The Deathly Hallows Lectures, the serious reader will understand how important literary alchemy is in understanding Rowling's artistry and accomplishment. The other seven chapters explore, among other things, the five writing tricks Ms. Rowling uses to work her story magic, the deciphering of the "Triangular Eye" symbol for the three Hallows, Harry's "struggle to believe" in Albus Dumbledore, why Ms. Rowling revealed that she "always thought" of the Headmaster as gay, and the more than 25 echoes of her first book, Philosopher's Stone, in Deathly Hallows. Did you wonder why Fred died in the end? Why Harry went underground seven times in Deathly Hallows? Granger explains how Ms. Rowling's story formula required these twists as well as two trips to King's Cross and two meetings with Albus Dumbledore at story's end. If you're a serious reader and serious fan of Harry Potter, The Deathly Hallows Lectures is a must!
Thomas takes us on a tour through the Potter books in order to enjoy them in different ways upon subsequent readings. Dr. Thomas' brilliant but light touch proves that a "serious" reading of literature can be fun.
Ivory Tower culture mavens have, in patronizing fashion, dismissed the Potter books. Many Christian believers have condemned the books as "gateways to the occult." Is Harry Potter "really just slop" as Yale's Harold Bloom tells us? Are children reading these books in greater danger of joining dangerous cults than those who do not? Reading the books in context and in depth reveals answers to these questions as well as the reason these books upset both the intelligentsia and the true believers (who, it should be noted, are odd bedfellows!).
Who Killed Albus Dumbledore? What Really Happened in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? Six Expert Harry Potter Detectives Examine the Evidence.by John Granger
Six fan-theorists attempt to unravel the clues of The Half-Blood Prince. John Granger provides ideas of what happened and what will happen based on their close reading of the book 'The Half-Blood Prince'.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.