Food makes the world go around, according to this absorbing account of how the search for food has shaped human nature. It is more important than love or sex for the simple reason that food is harder to find than a mate. Think of it this way, says Allport, who draws on the research of anthropologists and biologists in presenting her fascinating and provocative theories: Mates are often willing accomplices in the act of mating; food is never a willing accomplice in the act of eating.
Full of material intended to be both useful and stimulating, typically in a reproducible format. It represents a wide variety of orientations and contexts, both academic and clinical practice.
Because of the dynamic nature of the Internet, any web addresses or links contained in this book may have changed since publication and may no longer be valid. The views expressed in this work are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of the publisher, and the publisher hereby disclaims any responsibility for them.
Filled with time-tested strategies and expert advice, Research Strategies teaches you the skills that are essential to the success of any research project.
The light-hearted Runaway Rudy is a children's chapter book about a happy dog that loves his life but feels that running away from home is the only way to help other animals.
When Greg Johnson was interviewing for a job at a mental health center his interview was interrupted by a police officer with a naked woman in tow. "I was looking for an adventure," he says, "and this looked like it." In A Very Famous Social Worker, the author recounts with insight and humor his experiences as a rookie social worker in West Virginia's Greenbrier Valley. His unlikely parade of clients include a preacher whose wildly rebellious children are threatening to bring down his ministry, a teenage underwear fetishist, a man obsessed with Dolly Parton, and a schizophrenic poet. He goes the extra mile, often literally, teaching a client to drive, transporting an inebriated musician to rehab, and navigating a winding country road with a three-tiered wedding cake. Engaging and entertaining, A Very Famous Social Worker sheds light on a profession practiced by 600,000 Americans that remains little known to the general public.
Brimming with the passion and suspense Barbara Wood's fans have come to expect, this novel portrays two lovers separated by deadly secrets and trapped in the fateful hourglass of time. Beautiful young Andrea travels from Los Angeles to her ancestral home in England to meet her relatives and confront her mysterious heritage. But from the first moment she steps foot in her grandmother's cold Victorian house in Warrington, she senses an awesome, unsettling presence. She knows that a rendezvous awaits her: a terrifying journey into the past, and a shattering encounter that will mark her and change her forever. Andrea soon learns how terribly right her instincts have been. Waiting for her is Victor Townsend, a man who reaches out to embrace her from beyond the grave, a man for whom she hungers even though she knows of his past evil deeds. But Andrea also discovers the lingering horrors of the old house, its carefully buried secrets, and a timeless, tragic passion still burning within its aging walls.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.