Do You Have a Print Disability? Do You Live in Canada?
With a Bookshare® membership, you can access over 391,000 accessible eBooks.
Bookshare, the world’s largest online library for individuals with print disabilities, offers a wide range of books including bestsellers, novels, children's books, mysteries, science fiction, nonfiction, foreign-language books, and more, direct from publishers.
Bookshare is FREE to Canadians with a qualifying print disability who receive services from the Centre for Equitable Library Access (CELA) through their public library. Visit the CELA website for more information.
Educators can also sign up for free memberships for their students with print disabilities. Learn more about CELA's Educator Access Program.
Individuals Can Sign Up Today with These Four Easy Steps!
- Make sure you qualify as a Canadian with a print disability.
- Register for CELA services at your local library.
- Register for Bookshare.
- Email proof of disability form to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
**If you currently have a CNIB ID card, you may submit a copy of your card as proof of disability.
Organizations such as schools may also join Bookshare in order to serve their students or clients with print disabilities.
Schools Can Sign Up with These Steps!
Schools can sign up for Bookshare after they are registered for CELA services.
- Register at https://www.bookshare.org/signUpOrganization
- Enter organizational contact information and select “International K-12 School or Agency” or “International Post-Secondary Institution” under organization type
- Enter Primary Contact Information
- Agree to the Bookshare Membership Terms
- Download, fill out, sign and return the Bookshare Organizational Membership Agreement
- Notify Bookshare of sign up at email@example.com (to ensure your membership cost is covered by CELA)
- Complete and send the “Group Proof of Disability” form.
After adding qualified Members, your organization’s signup process is complete, and you can begin providing accessible ebooks to your Members!
Who may join?
Anyone with a qualifying print disability, such as blindness or low vision, a physical disability that prevents using a physical book, or a learning disability that affects reading, like severe dyslexia, may join Bookshare.
How much does it cost to become a member?
FREE for qualified CELA Members and CELA Member Schools. If you are not registered for CELA services, a subscription costs USD $50 and there is a one-time signup fee of USD $25.
For organizations, books are available in blocks of book downloads. The cost is USD $300 for 30, USD $450 for 60, or USD $600 for 100 book downloads. Organizations are not eligible for free membership through CELA at this time.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org