Step 4: Check in a Book
Check in a Proofread Book
To upload your book, log-in and go to Volunteer Home. Select "My Checked Out Books," find the title of the book, then, from the "Action" column, select "Check in." Upload your proofread file from your computer and select "Continue." A new page with the title, author, number of misspelled words, and links to “Quality Analysis Results” will pop up. Click “continue.”
Review the Book Information page
This information has been filled in by the scanner. Please review it and make any needed corrections.
This is simply a computer-generated flag based on the number of perceived errors. No action or changes should be made in this section.
- ISBN number: This number should match the ISBN number listed in the copyright page of your file. If the copyright page does not list an ISBN, do not add it in from another source
- Title: Make sure the title matches up with the title on title page. If there is a subtitle, include it after the main title and a colon. If this book is part of a series, fomat as follows: Book Title (Series Name #1[or whatever number it is])
- Author: Multiple authors should be separated by a comma. Author's names should be entered as First Name Last Name
- Language: The language should be marked "English." If you have another reason for marking another language, contact us
- Quality: This is automatically marked. Do not change it
- Copyright Holder: This should match the information on the copyright page
- Publisher: This should match the information on the copyright page
- Brief Synopsis and Long Synopsis: Keep the "brief" synopsis, well, brief. You may expand the description in the long synopsis. In both synopses, make sure to write complete sentences that are grammatically correct
- Number of Pages: This should match up with the number in your file
- Adult Content: Material containing explicit sexual content of the type which would not be available for purchase by a minor (age 18 or younger) and which would not be found in a public library, should be designated as "adult content"
- Bookshare members under the age of 18 will not be allowed to download material with this designation
- Material which anyone of any age could obtain from a store or library, whether or not it contains mature content, should not be classified as "adult content"
- Material with mature content, such as graphic violence or explicit scenes of intimacy, may be flagged in the synopsis with descriptive wording. For example, "Attack of the Killer Clowns depicts the gruesome and bloody tale of two teens that get lost in an amusement park and hunted by evil clowns"
- Country Restrictions: This relates to geographical copyright restrictions. The scanner should have already marked this but check that the following apply:
- Mark the country restrictions as “The Americas” and “United States”
- Do NOT check any "State Restrictions"
- Under "Usage Restrictions" you will likely select "copyright" and, if not, you must be able to prove that it is in the Public Domain or Creative Commons
- Select “Next”
- Categories: Categories allow members to find appropriate books for their interests.
- From the list of categories, choose up to four that will be most helpful. For example: a children’s story about a family in the Midwest in pioneer days who happen to have a pet dog should be marked (1) Children's Books, (2) Literature and Fiction, and (3) History. The categories Animals or Outdoors would not be as helpful in this instance
- If this a children's or teen's book, that category takes priority
- If this is a textbook, please mark that category
Check In Your Book
- Select "Check In" and your book will be added to the Approval Queue. (This may take a few moments.) You will receive an email verifying that your book was received and is awaiting administrator approval. Congratulations!