How to install and use Speech Central
How to install Speech Central
- Open the Apple App Store on your iOS device.
- Search for "Speech Central"
- Select the option to get Speech Central
How to download a Bookshare book
- Once in the app click on Articles & Books from the bottom of the screen
- Click the add button (blue plus sign top left)
- Click Bookshare 4th item on the list
- Click on Log in found on the top left
- Enter your Bookshare username and password and select OK
- Use the search to find a desired Bookshare book
- Select on the book to begin download
- When the download starts it will take you back to the Articles & Books menu were the title will show up once the download is complete.
How to read a book
- Click on Articles & Books
- Find the book you want to read, and click on the book title
- The book will automatically start reading once selected
Book navigation & Settings
- To navigate the contents of a book click Navigation button (Open book symbol left of play button)
- Bookshare book navigation may appear in the Chapters or Titles sections
- To navigate by paragraph scroll to and select the paragraph you wish to start on.
- To change speech rate while in a book click on the numbers to the right of the play button. Clicking will scroll through the choices of .8x, 1x, 1.2x, 1.5x, 2x.
In the iOS settings for the app itself you can change Speech settings, Screen/display settings, Headline settings, and Articles & Books settings.
There are two ways to get to the main settings from the app itself. Both ways take you into the app setting within iOS.
- When in a books contents click the Share button (top right). Then click settings(cog wheel)
- Main app screen click extras (cog wheel, bottom right). Then click Settings(top selection)