How do I install and use Read:OutLoud Bookshare Edition?
Please note that there are no plans or funding to update Read:OutLoud Bookshare Edition at this time; please consider using Don Johnston's Snap&Read Universal tool in conjunction with Bookshare Web Reader, or look at the Reading Tools for Computers page for other tools that are being maintained.
Refer to the installation instructions on Where can I download Read:OutLoud?. You must be logged-in with a valid Bookshare member account.
Using Read:OutLoud Bookshare Edition
Download the Book in DAISY Format
- Log in to your Bookshare account.
- Using the search bar at the top of the page, search for the book by title, author, or ISBN number.
- Within the search results, select "DAISY Text" or “DAISY with Images” from the download format drop-down menu.
- Select the Download button.
- On the next page (My History), select the Available link next to the status of the book you just downloaded.
Unzip the Book Folder
- Locate the downloaded zipped book that you just downloaded. Books will by default download to your Downloads folder on your computer.
- Right-click (or press Shift plus F10) to open the context sensitive menu, then select Extract All. This will open the "Extract Compressed (Zipped) Folders" dialog box. Please make sure the Show Extracted Files When Complete checkbox is unchecked.
- To save the extracted book in a folder within the current location, select the Extract button. If you wish to save the folder in a different location, first press the Browse button and choose a new location.
A new folder is created once the archive is unzipped. At that point, the zip archive is no longer needed and can be deleted.
Open the Book in Read:OutLoud
- Start Read:OutLoud Bookshare Edition.
- Select File, then Open.
- Go to your newly created book folder.
- Open the .OPF file (Windows may label this as a NIMAS File) and select the Speak button to begin reading.