The Bookshare In-Depth training is delivered at no cost to K–12 educators in Texas who work with students with print disabilities, such as low vision or physical limitations that prevent them from effectively reading a physical book.
Hundreds of educators across Texas have already been trained on the value and use of Bookshare. Download this Bookshare In-Depth Flyer (PDF) for details.
The Bookshare In-Depth training is divided into three workshops, each representing a specific execution phase in the Bookshare program. These three workshops cover the full implementation of Bookshare and the role of educators as facilitators of this program. Upon completion of the workshops, participants will be able to:
- Describe Bookshare and its eligibility criteria and membership options
- Utilize the Bookshare tools to ensure collaboration with students and parents
- Access and search the Bookshare library for textbooks and literary options
- Use the Bookshare online tools to manage users and generate reports
- Download accessible ebooks and transfer the files to e-reader technology tools
- Incorporate the varied technology platforms that Bookshare provides
Workshop 1: Bookshare Structure and Planning
Includes the hands-on set-up of the school/district organization within Bookshare, the responsibilities of the educator in creating and maintaining student Bookshare profiles, and the legal implications related to student qualifications for membership.
Workshop 2: Bookshare Implementation
Includes the mechanics of using Bookshare to download books, search the online library, request books, secure NIMAC textbooks and collaborate with students and parents.
Workshop 3: Bookshare Everywhere
Includes hardware- and software-related access to Bookshare’s online library using a Mac, PC, iPad, iPod/MP3 player, Android devices, and more. Provides exploration of reading tools to allow multi-modal reading, large font, audio, and Braille.
Request a Training Session
Obtain Continuing Professional Education Units
Continuing Professional Education units will be awarded to participants based on the completion of each individual module (two units per module).
Provider:Bookshare, a Benetech Initiative