Free Readers for Bookshare Members
Bookshare offers a number of free readers to Bookshare Members. Select your reader, log into your account, and install it (if necessary) to begin using Bookshare!
- Read books from an Internet Browser
- Read books with a downloadable reader
- Add-on high quality voices
- Read books with DAISY Consortium reader
Read books from an Internet Browser
Bookshare Web Reader (Individual Bookshare Membership required for access)
Bookshare Web Reader lets you read Bookshare books directly from within your Internet browser. Simply find the book you want to read and select "Read Now" on any computer with an Internet connection and supported Internet browser.
The current version is optimized for Google Chrome and provides text-to-speech with your computer's installed voice, word highlighting and more. When you first use Bookshare Web Reader with Chrome, you will be prompted to install a Chrome extension and can begin using it. Bookshare Web Reader can also be used with other Internet browsers, but may not have full functionality. Learn more.
- System requirements: PC or Mac computer with Internet access and Google Chrome for access to full features. Other browsers like Internet Explorer, Firefox or Safari can be used with limited features. Learn more.
Read books with a downloadable reader
- Read:OutLoud 6 Version 2.1 Bookshare Edition by Don Johnston (PC and Mac)
Read:Outloud 6 Version 2.1 with support for Lion on Macintosh computers is now available. We highly recommend all Members upgrade to this version for better performance with large books.
This DAISY reader is designed for people with learning disabilities and allows you to read multi-modally, take notes, look up definitions and more. It is not recommended for use with screen readers and can read only Bookshare books. For additional information, visit the Don Johnston website.
- Victor Reader Soft Bookshare Edition by HumanWare (PC only)
Victor Reader Soft version 2.6. is designed for people who are blind or have low vision. This is a self-voicing, full-featured DAISY reader that reads only Bookshare books. Please note that future versions of this software will no longer be developed; however, you can continue to use it and get support from Bookshare.
Add-on high quality voices (available for Read:OutLoud and Victor Reader Soft only)
- Acapela TTS Voices by Acapela Group
Bookshare offers free higher quality, Acapela TTS voices to its Members that provide a highly natural reading experience. The voice can be used only with the Bookshare editions of Read:OutLoud and Victor Reader Soft.
For additional information, visit the Acapela Group website.
- System requirements: Windows XP or higher; Mac OS 10.4-10.7
- To download this software, you need to be logged in as a Bookshare Member.
Read books with DAISY Consortium reader
- AMIS DAISY Playback Software (PC only)
AMIS (Adaptive Multimedia Information System) is a software program that you can use to read DAISY books, including Bookshare books. It is self-voicing, meaning that no specialized screen-reading software is needed in order for it to be used by visually impaired people. AMIS is open source software and is provided free of charge.
- System requirements: Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
- Download from the DAISY Consortium website (for PC)