Books without Barriers - Accessible books, magazines and periodicals
Do you have a print disability? Do you live in the UK?
With a Bookshare membership, you can access over 93,000 accessible eBooks.
Bookshare, the world’s largest online library for individuals with print disabilities, offers a wide range of books including bestsellers, novels, children's books, mysteries, science fiction, nonfiction, foreign-language books, and more, direct from publishers.
Who may join?
Anyone with a qualifying print disability, such as blindness or low vision, a physical disability that prevents using a physical book, or a learning disability that affects reading, like severe dyslexia, may join Bookshare.
Organizations such as schools may also join Bookshare in order to serve their students or clients with print disabilities.
How much does it cost to become a member?
An individual subscription costs USD $50 and there is a one-time signup fee of USD $25.
For organizations, books are available in blocks of book downloads. The cost is USD $300 for 30, USD $450 for 60, or USD $600 for 100 book downloads.
How to Sign Up for Individual Membership:
There are three steps for individuals to become members:
1. Click the Sign Up link to register as an Individual Member.*
3. Pay the membership fee. Your sign up confirmation email will have information about how to do this.
*For individuals under 18 years old, a parent signature is required. Please fill out the personalized Individual Agreement form and return it with the personalized Proof of Disability form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Sign Up for Organizational Membership:
There are four steps for organizations to become members:
2. Submit a roster of qualified students/clients for whom you will download books. Sign the Group Proof of Disability form, and return the form to email@example.com. Learn more about who can sign your form.
3. Optional: Add other staff at your organization as sponsors who will also be able to download books for your members.
4. Pay for blocks of 30, 60, or 100 books - this requires a credit card, purchase order or wire transfer. Your confirmation email will have information about how to do this.
This project is supported by the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs (Cooperative Agreement #H327K070001). Opinions expressed herein are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the position of the U.S. Department of Education.