- Table View
- List View
Tekserve Corporation, the distinctive (and somewhat eccentric but excellent) Macintosh repair store in New York City, has long provided its customers with a free "Frequently Asked Questions" document to cover the most common troubleshooting questions. We recently discovered this FAQ sheet and realized that-like New York itself-it was too good to leave just for the New Yorkers. With the help of Tekserve's owners, we turned this FAQ sheet into the Macintosh Troubleshooting Pocket Guide. This handy little book covers the most common user hardware and software troubles, from disks stuck in drives to lost files-there are software tips going back as far as OS 6! Tekserve updates their FAQ sheet based on the frequency of questions from real users who come into the store every week. This guide is easy to take and use anywhere.
The press has called Tekserve Corporation, the idiosyncratic Macintosh repair store in New York City, "The Epicenter of Mac Culture in NYC", "The leader in Apple triage services" and "warm and eclectic - maybe even a little eccentric". Unfortunately, not everyone can get down to Tekserve's West 23rd St location for the clear, down-to-earth Mac troubleshooting advice that Tekserve's owners dispense. For the rest of us, O'Reilly & Associates has published the Macintosh Troubleshooting Pocket Guide ($12.95) written by David Lerner and Aaron Freimark, of "the world's best Macintosh repair shop". This slim pocket guide has the answers to frequently asked Macintosh troubleshooting questions. Imagine the quirky record store in the movie "High Fidelity," or the popular "Car Talk" show on National Public Radio, and you'll have a good idea of this book's flavor. Tekserver has long provided its customers with a free "Frequently Asked Questions" document. We recently discovered this FAQ sheet and realized that-- like New York itself-- it was too good to leave just for the New Yorkers. With the help of Tekserve, we turned this FAQ sheet into the Macintosh Troubleshooting Pocket Guide. The Macintosh Troubleshooting Pocket Guide covers the most common user hardware and software trouble, from disks stuck in drives to lost files. It's not just a book for Mac OS X (although it includes tips for OS X and Jaguar, the latest release), it's for anyone who owns a Mac of any type-- there are software tips going back as far as OS 6. The Macintosh Troubleshooting Pocket Guide distills the answers to the urgent questions that Tekserve's employee's answer every week into a handy guide that fits in your back pocket or alongside your keyboard.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.