- Table View
- List View
1st in mystery series. Bo Bradley, child abuse investigator with manic-depression rescues deaf child. Light, fast read, but excellent depiction of what's now called bi-polar disorder.
Warning: many words in French, Cajun dialect, Spanish, Celtic Irish, and Latin. This one keeps you guessing until the end. Characters from previous books are incorporated and their personalities are further developed. A young teen girl is found in trauma shock at a Goth nightclub near Bo's beachfront home. The girl has a lovely doll attached to her wrist and neck by chains. She calls the doll Kimmy, and knows that it is important but has no idea why. Bo feels a kinship to the girl, knowing that without careful handling (which also means going against Madge Aldenhoven's constant orders, the girl will develop a mental illness. Bo and Andy LaMarche's relationship continues to develop. His teen niece comes to visit from the bayous and brings a freshness with her Cajun vocabulary and outgoing personality. Estrella gives birth near the end of the book. There is no hint that this is the end of the series. Wish there were more books in this series to see how current relationships pan out, but Padgett started a new series that only made it through 2 books.
It seems impossible that two healthy female politicians could have both died from a cerebral hemorrhage within days of each other. The police hire Blue McCarron and Roxie Bouchie as consultants. The two women, who are involved professionally and personally, work with evangelical preachers, former convicts, and paintball playing plastic surgeons in order to find this unorthodox killer.
While battling her own depressive cycle after her old dog dies, Bo stays in a sub-acute facility out on the Kumeyaay reservation. The facility is run by Indians who specialize in this care. While there, Bo meets and become friends with a schizophrenic young man waiting for his meds to stabilize. He is murdered, but his young son, known as Moonbird is still there. Bo leaves the facility and steps back into her CPS investigative role and becomes involved with murders, the Indian culture, medical mega-business and plots within plots. As usual, just when you think you have it figured out, Padgett surprised you again. Many of the prior characters from the series are not present here. However, Estrella is now pregnant, and there is the continuation of the relationship between Bo and Dr. Andrew LaMarche.
This is Book 2 in the Bo Bradley mystery series. (The first book, "Child of Silence", is already in Bookshare collection.) Bo Bradley is a CPS worker who also has manic-depression. The characters are well-rounded, and the story keeps you guessing what might happen next. This one focuses on the death of a small child and many mistakes in the police's and public's choices of the guilty person. Satanic abuse is blamed and debunked, rituals and cults debunked, while Bradley and her cohorts track down the truly guilty person. A possibly-romantic attachment for Bradley is continued in this story, but not yet decided. A quick read, and not depressing, even with the subject matter of child abuse.
The characters introduced in earlier books are here agaiEstrella and henry, Rombo and martin, Eva Broussard, elderly dog Mildred, Dar Reinert, Madge Aldenhoven. This time Estrella is pregnant, and Dr. Andrew LaMarche continues to court Bo. Will she give in? Other books by Abigail Padgett are available from Bookshare.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.