- Table View
- List View
1st in mystery series. Bo Bradley, child abuse investigator with manic-depression rescues deaf child. Light, fast read, but excellent depiction of what's now called bi-polar disorder.
Warning: many words in French, Cajun dialect, Spanish, Celtic Irish, and Latin. This one keeps you guessing until the end. Characters from previous books are incorporated and their personalities are further developed. A young teen girl is found in trauma shock at a Goth nightclub near Bo's beachfront home. The girl has a lovely doll attached to her wrist and neck by chains. She calls the doll Kimmy, and knows that it is important but has no idea why. Bo feels a kinship to the girl, knowing that without careful handling (which also means going against Madge Aldenhoven's constant orders, the girl will develop a mental illness. Bo and Andy LaMarche's relationship continues to develop. His teen niece comes to visit from the bayous and brings a freshness with her Cajun vocabulary and outgoing personality. Estrella gives birth near the end of the book. There is no hint that this is the end of the series. Wish there were more books in this series to see how current relationships pan out, but Padgett started a new series that only made it through 2 books.
It seems impossible that two healthy female politicians could have both died from a cerebral hemorrhage within days of each other. The police hire Blue McCarron and Roxie Bouchie as consultants. The two women, who are involved professionally and personally, work with evangelical preachers, former convicts, and paintball playing plastic surgeons in order to find this unorthodox killer.
While battling her own depressive cycle after her old dog dies, Bo stays in a sub-acute facility out on the Kumeyaay reservation. The facility is run by Indians who specialize in this care. While there, Bo meets and become friends with a schizophrenic young man waiting for his meds to stabilize. He is murdered, but his young son, known as Moonbird is still there. Bo leaves the facility and steps back into her CPS investigative role and becomes involved with murders, the Indian culture, medical mega-business and plots within plots. As usual, just when you think you have it figured out, Padgett surprised you again. Many of the prior characters from the series are not present here. However, Estrella is now pregnant, and there is the continuation of the relationship between Bo and Dr. Andrew LaMarche.
This is Book 2 in the Bo Bradley mystery series. (The first book, "Child of Silence", is already in Bookshare collection.) Bo Bradley is a CPS worker who also has manic-depression. The characters are well-rounded, and the story keeps you guessing what might happen next. This one focuses on the death of a small child and many mistakes in the police's and public's choices of the guilty person. Satanic abuse is blamed and debunked, rituals and cults debunked, while Bradley and her cohorts track down the truly guilty person. A possibly-romantic attachment for Bradley is continued in this story, but not yet decided. A quick read, and not depressing, even with the subject matter of child abuse.
The characters introduced in earlier books are here agaiEstrella and henry, Rombo and martin, Eva Broussard, elderly dog Mildred, Dar Reinert, Madge Aldenhoven. This time Estrella is pregnant, and Dr. Andrew LaMarche continues to court Bo. Will she give in? Other books by Abigail Padgett are available from Bookshare.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.