- Table View
- List View
From Harvard classrooms to your grandma's kitchen table-everybody is getting on the look on the brightside bandwagon. If you need to know, there's a ton of medical research to back it up, but people who appreciate where their bread is buttered and how sweet the jam on their toast is-well they're healthier, they live longer, they're usually more successful-although they may not define success as having the most marbles, and for sure other people want to spend more time around them. Addie Johnson calls Life Is Sweet her scrapbook, in which she's gathered stories that struck her-things that made her happy in the seeing or experience and in the remembering. And bits she's read. And quotes. People, stories, kids and animals, stuff/no stuff (aka all or nothing), achievements achieved and unpleasant tasks done, laughing (snickering, giggling, guffawing, wetting your pants) health or progress toward it--all are fodder for happiness. Life is sweet and creamy-yes your life and yours and yours and yours--if you just look at what's in front of your face.
Nobody ever said being an adult was easy. But it's easier with The Little Book of Big Excuses, with hundreds of excuses for things you did, things you didn't do, things you did wrong, and things you never want to hear about again. First things first: Fake Don't Flake. In here are your excuses for being late for or not showing up to any number of places for any number of reasons--grandma's birthday party, work, home, weddings, dentists appointments. Excusez-Moi, si'l vous plait is where to look when you're caught wearing a halter top to a black tie event. Or forget your boss's spouse's name--again. Or don't want to pick up the tab. The French have a word for everything. If you need to learn how to say I'd Love to, but--the art of articulating just why you can't do most anything you don't want to do--in any language, this is the book for you. Demonstrate your incompetence. When someone asks you to bring those complicated hors d'oeuvres, show up half an hour late with half the ingredients. Bonus section here: how to get someone else to do all the work while you still get the credit. Delivery Subsystem Failure--Mailboxes, Messages, Missives Gone Awry, Oh My! Never, ever again will you want for an excuse for not writing, calling, IMing, or emailing. Fake communication breakdowns make fail-safe excuses for a myriad of don't wannas and didn't do its. All's Fair in Love contains excuses for not calling, not going on the second date, forgetting the birthday or anniversary of the one you love. Plus how to retreat with remorse, even from the altar steps. Hint: You could have your mother or your manager phone it in. That's what Julia Roberts did. * Hundreds of excuses for thousands of situations, plus The Excuse Clinic: How to Make Lame Excuses Walk and Okay Excuses Sing. * Life is serious business, people, so pay attention. Let Addie help you off the hook.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.