- Table View
- List View
From Harvard classrooms to your grandma's kitchen table-everybody is getting on the look on the brightside bandwagon. If you need to know, there's a ton of medical research to back it up, but people who appreciate where their bread is buttered and how sweet the jam on their toast is-well they're healthier, they live longer, they're usually more successful-although they may not define success as having the most marbles, and for sure other people want to spend more time around them. Addie Johnson calls Life Is Sweet her scrapbook, in which she's gathered stories that struck her-things that made her happy in the seeing or experience and in the remembering. And bits she's read. And quotes. People, stories, kids and animals, stuff/no stuff (aka all or nothing), achievements achieved and unpleasant tasks done, laughing (snickering, giggling, guffawing, wetting your pants) health or progress toward it--all are fodder for happiness. Life is sweet and creamy-yes your life and yours and yours and yours--if you just look at what's in front of your face.
Nobody ever said being an adult was easy. But it's easier with The Little Book of Big Excuses, with hundreds of excuses for things you did, things you didn't do, things you did wrong, and things you never want to hear about again. First things first: Fake Don't Flake. In here are your excuses for being late for or not showing up to any number of places for any number of reasons--grandma's birthday party, work, home, weddings, dentists appointments. Excusez-Moi, si'l vous plait is where to look when you're caught wearing a halter top to a black tie event. Or forget your boss's spouse's name--again. Or don't want to pick up the tab. The French have a word for everything. If you need to learn how to say I'd Love to, but--the art of articulating just why you can't do most anything you don't want to do--in any language, this is the book for you. Demonstrate your incompetence. When someone asks you to bring those complicated hors d'oeuvres, show up half an hour late with half the ingredients. Bonus section here: how to get someone else to do all the work while you still get the credit. Delivery Subsystem Failure--Mailboxes, Messages, Missives Gone Awry, Oh My! Never, ever again will you want for an excuse for not writing, calling, IMing, or emailing. Fake communication breakdowns make fail-safe excuses for a myriad of don't wannas and didn't do its. All's Fair in Love contains excuses for not calling, not going on the second date, forgetting the birthday or anniversary of the one you love. Plus how to retreat with remorse, even from the altar steps. Hint: You could have your mother or your manager phone it in. That's what Julia Roberts did. * Hundreds of excuses for thousands of situations, plus The Excuse Clinic: How to Make Lame Excuses Walk and Okay Excuses Sing. * Life is serious business, people, so pay attention. Let Addie help you off the hook.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.