- Table View
- List View
Whether enrolling in college for the first time or returning after an extended absence, this motivational guide provides adult students with a wealth of practical guidance. This thorough handbook explores not only how to succeed academically while balancing family, work, and other important responsibilities, but also addresses how students can learn to confront their fears, increase their self-confidence and resiliency, and create support groups. Containing essential information on financing education through loans, grants, and scholarships as well as practical tips for managing time, preparing for tests, taking effective notes, and using internet resources, this one-stop reference also includes action review checklists.
Resiliency--the ability to adapt to life's changes and crises--is key to a healthy, productive life. Based on his deep knowledge of the new science of resiliency, Dr. Al Siebert explains how and why some people are more resilient than others and how resiliency can be learned at any age. Through anecdotes, exercises, and examples, Dr. Siebert details a unique five-level program for becoming more resilient.
"The Resiliency Advantage" is the first book based in the emerging new "science" of resiliency. It shows people in all occupations and circumstances how to become skilled at bouncing back quickly from setbacks, making difficult challenges turn out well, and converting misfortune into good fortune. Dr. Al Siebert is Director of The Resiliency Centre and author of "The Survivor Personality". He is an ex-paratrooper with a Ph.D. in psychology.
"As a survivor, I am impressed with this valuable tool for those who look for hope in hopelessness. Dr. Siebert provides a practical guide for anyone who chooses to be a survivor rather than a victim. "-Edith Eva Eger, Ph. d. , Auschwitz survivor.
The Survivor Personality: Why Some People Are Stronger, Smarter, & More Skillful at Handling Life's Difficulties...And How You Can Be, Tooby Al Siebert
"If you have yet to discover within yourself those qualities that seem evident in survivors...this book will...show you what they are..., how you can access and use them for yourself." from Foreword
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.