- Table View
- List View
Praise for the First Edition "This is a superb text from which to teach categorical data analysis, at a variety of levels. . . [t]his book can be very highly recommended. " -Short Book Reviews "Of great interest to potential readers is the variety of fields that are represented in the examples: health care, financial, government, product marketing, and sports, to name a few. " -Journal of Quality Technology "Alan Agresti has written another brilliant account of the analysis of categorical data. " -The Statistician The use of statistical methods for categorical data is ever increasing in today's world. An Introduction to Categorical Data Analysis, Second Edition provides an applied introduction to the most important methods for analyzing categorical data. This new edition summarizes methods that have long played a prominent role in data analysis, such as chi-squared tests, and also places special emphasis on logistic regression and other modeling techniques for univariate and correlated multivariate categorical responses. This Second Edition features: Two new chapters on the methods for clustered data, with an emphasis on generalized estimating equations (GEE) and random effects models A unified perspective based on generalized linear models An emphasis on logistic regression modeling An appendix that demonstrates the use of SAS(r) for all methods An entertaining historical perspective on the development of the methods Specialized methods for ordinal data, small samples, multicategory data, and matched pairs More than 100 analyses of real data sets and nearly 300 exercises Written in an applied, nontechnical style, the book illustrates methods using a wide variety of real data, including medical clinical trials, drug use by teenagers, basketball shooting, horseshoe crab mating, environmental opinions, correlates of happiness, and much more. An Introduction to Categorical Data Analysis, Second Edition is an invaluable tool for social, behavioral, and biomedical scientists, as well as researchers in public health, marketing, education, biological and agricultural sciences, and industrial quality control.
Alan Agresti and Chris Franklin have merged their research and classroom experience to develop this successful introductory statistics text. Statistics: The Art and Science of Learning from Data, Second Edition helps readers become statistically literate by encouraging them to ask and answer interesting statistical questions. It takes the ideas that have turned statistics into a central science in modern life and makes them accessible and engaging to readers without compromising necessary rigor.
Statistical science as organized in formal academic departments is relatively new. With a few exceptions, most Statistics and Biostatistics departments have been created within the past 60 years. This book consists of a set of memoirs, one for each department in the U.S. created by the mid-1960s. The memoirs describe key aspects of the department's history -- its founding, its growth, key people in its development, success stories (such as major research accomplishments) and the occasional failure story, PhD graduates who have had a significant impact, its impact on statistical education, and a summary of where the department stands today and its vision for the future. Read here all about how departments such as at Berkeley, Chicago, Harvard, and Stanford started and how they got to where they are today. The book should also be of interests to scholars in the field of disciplinary history.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.