- Table View
- List View
DID YOU KNOW THAT... * The room in which Robert E. Lee was born was also the birthplace of two signers of the Declaration of Independence * Philip Sheridan was suspended from West Point for a year because of a "quarrel of belligerent character" * During the election of 1860, Northern States cast a quarter of a million more votes against Lincoln that did the entire South * George McClellan had to secure special permission to be admitted to West Point--because he was only 15 * At least one woman served as a "drummer boy" during the Civil War * The famed U.S.S. Monitor was the first warship to have flush toilets From the fascinating to the frivolous, A Civil War Journal presents little-known facts that will both entertain and enlighten you. This entertaining and informative chronicl e of the Civil War and the people who waged it shines a new light on the hidden corners of history, bringing you more than 500 surprising episodes, eye-opening anecdotes, and little-known facts. From the private eccentricities of well-known figures to sobering statistics about the war itself, these pages reveal: * What Union victory took place in Japan * How many cigars Grant smoked each day * Why Abraham Lincoln grew a beard * Why Major General James Longstreet wore carpet slippers at the battle of Antietem * Why a Union warship was named after a Confederate general * How many Confederate flags were captured at Gettysburg * How much money the U.S. spent on the war per day in 1865 * Who the last surviving Civil War general was and open your eyes to the tremendous impact the war had on soldiers and civilians alike. The perfect browsing book for Civil War buffs, trivia mavens, and the insatiably curious, A Civil War Journal is a treasure trove of odd information and unusual insights.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.