- Table View
- List View
For over a quarter of a century, Robert A. Heinlein has been the acknowledged master of modern science fiction. His first few stories turned the field upside down, and set new standards of narrative and scientific excellence that few other authors have matched and none has surpassed. It is no credit to the critical fraternity that no extended attention has hitherto been paid to Heinlein. Alexei Panshin now offers the first full-length study of Heinlein's work and his place in contemporary science fiction. Like Damon Knight, Mr. Panshin works on the assumption that the ordinary standards of literature apply with full force to science fiction; a vaulting imagination does not excuse bad writing or foolish plotting. In addition there are criteria of narrative technique and scientific Plausibility that are peculiar to science fiction. Rigorously applying these standards, Mr. Panshin discusses Heinlein's fiction and analyzes its strengths and weaknesses; he traces the constants and the variables in Heinlein's interests and viewpoints; and he offers a suggestion as to the ultimate significance of Heinlein both in science fiction and in literature as a whole. Mr. Panshin has produced a study in depth that is neither adulatory nor carping, and is both comprehensive and readable. No doubt there will be other books written about Robert A. Heinlein, but we suspect that the present volume will be accepted as the definitive work for a long time to come.
In 2198 man lives precariously on hastily-established colony worlds and in seven giant starships. Mia Haveros ship tests its children by casting them out to live or die in a month of Trial in the hostile wilds of a colony world
The world in which we live has been shaped by the myths of science fiction. In that vast imaginative universe of mystery and endless possibility, the darkest nightmares and the grandest aspirations of scientific man have been given life -- from Frankenstein to Galactic Empire. Looking through the mirror of past science fiction at the reflections of literary inventors such as Jules Verne and H.G. Wells, we can discover the series of steps that led our society to its current state of great accomplishments and even greater confusion. And in the Golden Age stories of writers like Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, and A.E. van Vogt we can discern a mythic prevision of the crucial values, attitudes, and intuitions that underlie the coming age of higher consciousness and holistic understanding. Addressing both those who love science fiction and those who have never read it, The World Beyond the Hill recounts the most central stories of the genre, how they came to be written, and what fundamental human questions they attempted to answer. By telling both the story of science fiction and the stories of science fiction, Alexei and Cory Panshin take us on a journey through the most wonder-filled regions of imagination and bring us home with new insight into our culture, our nature, and our goals. The World Beyond the Hill is a synthesis of remarkable originality. It is both high- quality literature written with clarity, grace, and warmth, and a unique work of research and scholarship. It is biography, history, and social psychology, but most of all it is the recounting of the dream of unknown things, of higher possibilities and of the human quest for transcendence in visions of the mythical but emergent world beyond the hill.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.