- Table View
- List View
Alice Cooper is hotter than ever, still playing up to 100 gigs a year with his his audiences growing younger. But 300 days a year, he is out on the golf course. That's because Alice credits golf as helping him overcome a self-destructive spiral into alcoholism. It's also because Alice turned out to be almost as good a golfer as he is a rocker. This book blends a rocker's uproarious tales of excess with a no holds-barred account of how Cooper substituted alcohol addiction with the lesser evil of hitting a little white ball. Alice Coopers rock 'n' roll's original misanthrope, the ultimate shock-rock, heavy-metal bad boy. With golf, as in music, he was way ahead of the cultural curve, his passion for the game predating golf's popularity surge among younger folks, hip professional athletes, and indeed Alice's music contemporaries, including Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Iggy Pop and Roger Waters. The nearest Alice Cooper has come to writing his autobiography. He is still a major rock touring artist. This title includes the story of his musical career and of his rehabilitation. It is a fascinating self-help programme by an unlikely role model.
One of the hardest headbangers of heavy metal shares his uplifting and empowering memoir about overcoming addiction and dedicating his life to God.Since 1983, the celebrated metal band Megadeth has sold more than 20 million albums, received eleven Grammy nominations, and built a fan base of millions. Still going strong, they recently toured the world with Metallica, Anthrax, and Slayer. Now, in My Life with Deth, the band's cofounder and bassist David Ellefson tells the whole behind-the-scenes story of the band and his personal journey from suffering to salvation. At first glance, Ellefson's history reads like a how-to manual of excess, from hardcore drugs to x-rated debauchery. But Ellefson goes much deeper, taking us on a gripping journey from his Lutheran upbringing as a Minnesota farm boy, through the culture shock he experienced when he arrived in Los Angeles and entered the music industry, to his drug-fueled Megadeth days, and finally how he beat his addictions and embarked on a path of sobriety and faith, entering a new life of Christian devotion. Today, studying to become a Lutheran pastor, Ellefson presides over MEGA Life! Ministries, a foundation that reaches hundreds of churchgoers every week. Including exclusive interviews with some of the biggest names in American music and filled with life lessons for everyone, My Life with Deth is an inspiring and uplifting profile in courage.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.