- Table View
- List View
On a cold January morning Susan leaves her husband alone for a few minutes and returns to find him gone. He has Alzheimer's-he no longer knows how to dress or feed or wash himself-and he has wandered alone into a frigid landscape with no sense of home or direction. Lost. The massive search for her husband brings Susan together with Jeff, a search and rescue expert and social worker preoccupied with his young wife's betrayal. Hovering on the periphery is Corey, a young boy rendered mute and abandoned by his family after setting a fire in which his older brother was killed. His fate has been placed in Jeff's hands. As Susan and Jeff endure an intolerable wait for news, and Corey waits to learn his future, the search becomes an internal one too. Susan silently considers the diagnosis that transformed her marriage into a caretaking relationship, the abrupt decision to leave her career and home for an isolated house in upstate New York, those few stolen moments alone. And Jeff confronts his devotion to a woman for whom he was never enough, and the urgent need to find a home for Corey. Written in spare, beautiful prose, Lost explores the ways the simplest, briefest of moments--a fleeting instinct, a turned back, a split-second decision--can have a profound impact on our lives and the way responsibility, love, and sorrow can bind us together.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.