In May 1777, little Joanne Clarke and her friend Nancy Wagner are taken captive by a Native American, an ally of the British army. They are left in the woods where they find the Indian's pouch containing a letter with valuable information to the American Army at Albany.
To help the men of Machias, Maine, capture an English gunboat in June 1775, Rebecca and Anna undertake a dangerous journey through a forest to get ammunition for them-- based on a true story of the brave effort of two girls to bring help to a little settlement on the Maine coast at the time of the Revolution.
Originally published in 1921, this historical novel is set in 1783 at a time when British soldiers were still in control of New York City. It is a story of the adventures of a courageous loyal American girl, Annette Vincent, and her best friend, a Tory.
Originally published in 1919, this historical novel is set in 1778 at a time when Philadelphia was in the hands of General Vowie and the British army. <P> <P> It is the story of Ruth Parvel and Winifred Merrill, who kept their ears open and made good use of their knowledge.
This is the story of a little girl whose home was among the Green Mountains of Vermont, then known as "The Wilderness," at the beginning of the American Revolution; and at the time when Ethan Allen and his brave soldiers were on guard to defend their rights.
When she is caught up in the events that will lead to the start of the Civil War, ten-year-old Sylvia is glad for the several good friends, including a young slave girl, she has made while living in Charleston, South Carolina.
Follow the experiences of Kathleen, a spirited 11-year-old in the days surrounding the eventful Civil War Battle at Gettysburg.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.