Professional historian-hero and time-traveler Alex Balfour returns in the most exciting of his critically acclaimed adventures. This time he wakes up literally in the middle of the Civil War. And this time, he's not the only one traveling through time. Last seen falling asleep on a small Japanese island shortly after Hiroshima, Alex, a twenty-first century New Yorker, awakens between a Rebel stand and a Union charge led by George Armstrong Custer. Wounded by crossfire, Alex is taken to a makeshift hospital, but not before he witnesses the gruesome murder of a helpless soldier long after the fighting has ceased. Meanwhile, in present-day New York City, Alex's girlfriend and intrepid Times reporter Molly Glenn loses her way chasing a story and winds up in the thick of the Civil War herself. As Alex tries to make sense of the murder and Molly, in cumbersome crinolines and petticoats, tries to make headway against prevailing male attitudes toward women, they meet such historical figures as Abraham Lincoln, Sidney Lanier, Ambrose Bierce, and Walt Whitman. Confronting hard-hitting historical truths, exploring moral dilemmas, and packing page-turning adventure, In Time of War continues the timeless series beloved by legions of fans.
We can never thank our fathers enough for the special moments that make us cherish our childhood memories. It's those little things - fixing toys, barbecuing the perfect burger, applying a thousand band-aids - that count for so much and that we sometimes take for granted.Illustrated throughout with vintage black and white drawings, each of these heartfelt thank-yous pays tribute to the thoughtful and loving acts our dads do for us each day. This small, charming book will let dads know that their guidance and support made us into the sons and daughters we are today.This is the perfect gift for all occasions and dads!
We can never thank our mothers enough for the special moments that make us cherish our childhood memories. It's those little things - trips to the park, playing Go Fish, bedtime snacks - that count for so much and that we sometimes take for granted.Illustrated with vintage black and white drawings, each of these heartfelt thank-yous pays tribute to the thoughtful and loving acts our mothers do for us each day. This small, charming book will let moms know that their guidance and support made us into the sons and daughters we are today.This is the perfect gift for all occasions and moms!
The first in the Alex Balfour series. Balfour, a history teacher in Russian Revolutional studies, finds himself in the midst of the Revolution itself.
In the second in the Alex Balfour series, Alex travels to the 19th century where he meets Mark Twain among others.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.