Thomas Austin Preston. Six foot four, skinny as a rake. He's played poker with two US presidents - and drug lord Pablo Escobar; made a million dollars by the age of nineteen; and driven a golf ball a mile. Thomas Austin Preston - who is he? The world knows him better as the greatest gambler of all time: Amarillo Slim. Raised in Amarillo, Texas, Amarillo Slim has lived the most daring, exciting and profitable life of any man alive. Sent overseas just after World War II to give billiards exhibitions for the US army, he ended up running the biggest black-market operation in Europe. Back home, he returned to his first love, cards, and won the World Series of poker in 1972. Now a living legend and member of four Halls of Fame, he's been celebrated in songs and movies, and his picture hangs in City Hall, Las Vegas. Because, most of all, Slim's a man who loves to gamble. He'll bet on anything - if the price is right. He's ridden a camel thourgh the fanciest casino in Marrakesh and beaten Evel Knieval at golf (with a hammer), but that was just the small stuff. In his finest hour, he took on the Chinese table tennis champion at his own game. Slim, of course, got to choose the bats. The choice? Coke bottles. The result? 21-0, 21-0, 21-0. Slim was a very happy man. In the most entertaining book this year, Amarillo Slim will tell you the story of his extraordinary life - and the secrets of his even more extraordinary success. From Vegas to Colombia, Texas to London, welcome to the wonderful world of Amarillo Slim!
In this new and completely revised edition, the first reigning World Series of Poker Champion gets down and dirty about how to win big. It's not just about cards. It's about the people who hold them, so you'll need to be a master of human nature. Who better to teach you than American folk hero and gambling legend Amarillo Slim? Get his first-hand secrets on everything from counting cards to judging opponents, the laws of probability, betting, bluffing, when to drop, and when to pick up your chips and head home.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.