- Table View
- List View
Aminatta Forna's The Devil That Danced on the Water was a rapturously acclaimed, moving, and gorgeously written memoir that garnered international attention. Now she has seamlessly turned her hand to fiction, and delivers a novel that is lush and beautiful, a touching and intimate portrait of the lives of a family of independent, spirited African women over the last century of dramatic cultural change. A young woman who has lived in England for many years, Abie has followed the arc of a letter back to West Africa, to the coffee groves of Kholifa Estates, the plantation formerly owned by her grandfather. It is a place she remembers from childhood and that now belongs to her if she wants it. Standing among the ruined groves she strains to hear the sound of the past, but the layers of years in between then and now are too many. So begins her gathering of the family's history through the tales of her aunts. This is the story of four lives. Asana, Mariama, Hawa, and Serah Kholifa were born to the different wives of a wealthy plantation owner in an Africa where change was just beginning to arrive. Asana, a lost twin and the head-wife's daughter. Hawa, a motherless child and manipulator of her own misfortune. Mariama, who sees what lies beyond this world. And Serah, follower of a Western-made dream. Stretching across generations and set against the backdrop of a country's descent into free fall, Ancestor Stones is a stunning novel about understanding the past and how stories ancient and new shape who we become, a book that offers a different way of seeing the world we share. It is the story of a nation, a family, and four women's attempts to quietly alter the course of their own
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.