- Table View
- List View
Aminatta Forna's The Devil That Danced on the Water was a rapturously acclaimed, moving, and gorgeously written memoir that garnered international attention. Now she has seamlessly turned her hand to fiction, and delivers a novel that is lush and beautiful, a touching and intimate portrait of the lives of a family of independent, spirited African women over the last century of dramatic cultural change. A young woman who has lived in England for many years, Abie has followed the arc of a letter back to West Africa, to the coffee groves of Kholifa Estates, the plantation formerly owned by her grandfather. It is a place she remembers from childhood and that now belongs to her if she wants it. Standing among the ruined groves she strains to hear the sound of the past, but the layers of years in between then and now are too many. So begins her gathering of the family's history through the tales of her aunts. This is the story of four lives. Asana, Mariama, Hawa, and Serah Kholifa were born to the different wives of a wealthy plantation owner in an Africa where change was just beginning to arrive. Asana, a lost twin and the head-wife's daughter. Hawa, a motherless child and manipulator of her own misfortune. Mariama, who sees what lies beyond this world. And Serah, follower of a Western-made dream. Stretching across generations and set against the backdrop of a country's descent into free fall, Ancestor Stones is a stunning novel about understanding the past and how stories ancient and new shape who we become, a book that offers a different way of seeing the world we share. It is the story of a nation, a family, and four women's attempts to quietly alter the course of their own
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.