- Table View
- List View
Cinderella's transformation from poor girl to princess never fails to captivate young ones, and this stellar retelling, exquisitely illustrated by Susan Jeffers, is a must for every library. When the original version of this book was published in 1985, Publishers Weekly called it "a treasure for all ages," and The New York Times declared, "Fairy-tale aficionados will be mesmerized. " For this hardcover reissue, Susan Jeffers retouched her pen-and- ink and dye illustrations, making them even richer. Her brilliant artwork is showcased in a new interior design featuring a fifth-color gold border. Embossed gold foil type on the jacket of this large-format picture book trumpets the arrival of the girl who went from rags to riches.
Nina and her mother Joyce are always on the move. They own nothing and they don't stay anywhere for long. As Nina begins to yearn for a settled life and lasting friendships, Joyce begins to move at a more frantic pace. Will Nina ever get the stability she craves?
Tired of their usual routine, the farm animals insist on moving into the house, so the family decides to move into the barn, but eventually everyone tires of this new arrangement.
Rachel Carson was always curious about the world around her. As a girl, she loved being outside, exploring and learning more about the universe. As an adult, Rachel wrote books, including Silent Spring, considered to be the start of today's environmental movement. An epilogue highlights on Rachel Carson's work and life.
The Emperor's New Clothes Hans Christian Andersen 3 The Sleeping Beauty in the Wood Charles Perrault 10 The Elves and the Shoemaker The Brothers Grimm 22 Rapunzel The Brothers Grimm 26 The Twelve Dancing Princesses The Brothers Grimm 34 Jack and the Beanstalk Old English 46 Snow White The Brothers Grimm 58 Puss in Boots Charles Perrault 74 Beauty and the Beast Madame LePrince de Beaumont 82 The Frog Prince The Brothers Grimm 94 The Valiant Little Tailor The Brothers Grimm 102 Red Riding Hood The Brothers Grimm 118 The Real Princess (The Princess and the Pea) Hans Christian Andersen 126 The Steadfast Tin Soldier Hans Christian Andersen 130 Cinderella Charles Perrault 138 Hansel and Gretel The Brothers Grimm 150 Rumpelstiltskin The Brothers Grimm 166 The Snow Queen Hans Christian Andersen 174 Thumbelina Hans Christian Andersen 194
The award-winning companion to Volume One of WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE--now in paperback "Tell me a story of when you were little," children everywhere love to ask. In this acclaimed collection, ten award-winning, well-known writers comply by reaching across their own childhoods to those of their readers. Whether telling of growing up in Japan or upstate New York or the California coast, recalling The Great Depression or World War II or the 1950s, describing children's victories or heartaches, the writers of these stories make it clear that despite the difference between one childhood and another, all children share a complex humanity and a deep capacity for joy.
The stories are: "In the Blink of an Eye" by Norma Fox Mazer; "Food from the Outside" by Rita Williams-Garcia; "Interview with a Shrimp" by Paul Fleischman; "The Long Closet" by Jane Yolen; "How I Lost My Station in Life" by E. L. Konigsburg; "Bus Problems" by Howard Norman; "Pegasus for a Summer" by Michael J. Rosen; "Learning to Swim" by Kyoko Mori; "Waiting for Midnight" by Karen Hesse; "The Snapping Turtle" by Joseph Bruchac
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.