- Table View
- List View
The Collected Stories of Amy Hempel gathers together the complete work of a writer whose voice is as singular and astonishing as any in American fiction. Hempel, fiercely admired by writers and reviewers, has a sterling reputation that is based on four very short collections of stories, roughly fifteen thousand stunning sentences, written over a period of nearly three decades. These are stories about people who make choices that seem inevitable, whose longings and misgivings evoke eternal human experience. With compassion, wit, and the acutest eye, Hempel observes the marriages, minor disasters, and moments of revelation in an uneasy America. WhenReasons to Live,Hempel's first collection, was published in 1985, readers encountered a pitch-perfect voice in fiction and an unsettling assessment of the culture. That collection includes "San Francisco," which Alan Cheuse inThe Chicago Tribunecalled "arguably the finest short story composed by any living writer. " InAt the Gates of the Animal Kingdom,her second collection, frequently compared to the work of Raymond Carver, Hempel refined and developed her unique grace and style and her unerring instinct for the moment that defines a character. Also included here, in their entirety, are the collectionsTumble HomeandThe Dog of the Marriage. As Rick Moody says of the title novella in Tumble Home, "the leap in mastery, in seriousness, and sheer literary purpose was inspiring to behold. . . . And yet," he continues,"The Dog of the Marriage,the fourth collection, is even better than the other three. . . a triumph, in fact. "The Collected Stories of Amy Hempelis the perfect opportunity for readers of contemporary American fiction to catch up to one of its masters. Moody's passionate and illuminating introduction celebrates both the appeal and the importance of Hempel's work.
A quietly powerful presence in American fiction during the past two decades, these collected stories show the true scale of Amy Hempel's achievement. Her compact fictions, populated by smart, neurotic and somewhat damaged narrators, speak grandly to the longings and insecurities in all of us and in a voice that is bracingly direct and sneakily profound. These are stories about people who make choices that seem inevitable, whose longings and misgivings evoke eternal human experience. With her trademark...
Welcome to the world of Martin "Buzzy" Schwartz, Champion Trader--the man whose nerves of steel and killer instinct in the canyons of Wall Street earned him the well-deserved name "Pit Bull." This is the true story of how Schwartz became the best of the best, of the people and places he discovered along the way and of the trader's tricks and techniques he used to make his millions.
Long admired for her "tough-minded, original, and fully felt" short stories ("The New York Times Book Review"), Hempel takes her art to new heights in her first remarkable novella--as well as in her latest collection of stories that comment on life's ironies with decidedly offbeat intelligence.
An irresistible gift for dog lovers: poems from the dogs' point of view, written by the well-known writers & poets who love them. Filled with canine inspiration, 64 of our most respected literary lights have looked at the world from their dogs' points of view & discovered a remarkable range of thought & feeling. In styles as diverse as Arthur Miller's "Lola's Lament," Cynthia Heimel's "Sally," & Stephen Dunn's "Buster's Visitation," the results are by turns hilarious, silly, & deeply moving-as individual as the dogs themselves. The dogs hold forth formally (sonnets! villanelles! haiku!) & in free verse about the things that most concern them: food, play, food, & their masters. Photographs & drawings of the pooch poets accompany the verses.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.