- Table View
- List View
Bless Your Heart celebrates the uniquely loving way that Southerners show they care with food (which can usually be frozen and reheated). What Southern lady hasn't shown up with a covered dish (with her name written on masking tape on the bottom so she can get her pan back) at the church potluck, the school fundraiser, or at the home of someone who has lost a loved one to show just how much she cares? Bless Your Heart includes stories that perfectly and humorously capture the occasions when nothing else will work but putting aluminum foil over a favorite 9 x 13-inch dish filled with a best "show off" recipe. Here are more than two hundred recipes that are always popular at family reunions, holiday gatherings, tailgate parties, and the always popular all-day singing and dinner on the grounds. Whatever the occasion, Bless Your Heart aims to save the world one covered dish at a time.
The best recipes for entertaining, straight from the South's most charming imaginary everytown? Sure, there are major milestones that demand the fine china and fresh flowers. But in the South no special occasion is needed to throw open the front door, set up a buffet line down the kitchen counter, and welcome your nearest and dearest over for the sort of meal they won't soon forget. Join Patsy Caldwell and Amy Lyles Wilson as they once again take us to Luckettville to meet the talented downhome hostesses who've said, "Y'all come over" a time or two in their day. You'll get the perfect menu suggestions for just about every occasion a Southern entertainer might encounter--soups to ladle up during the big game, savory meats to toss on the grill for those summer picnics, and sweets to regale the crowd with during those last six weeks of the year. Recipes include: Iron Skillet Roasted Chicken with White Beans and Tomatoes Blackberry Lemonade Cherry Cobbler Cupcakes Good Neighbor Chicken Fiesta Soup Get inspired to make your kitchen a place where friends and family will look forward to landing. All that's left to do is say it--"Y'all come over!"
You know how those Southern dessert recipes go-a cup of sugar here, a stick of butter there, eight squares of baking chocolate, or a pint of the season's juiciest fruit. That recipe for blueberry cream pie-it's been passed around the church for so long nobody can quite remember who made it first. Or how about the one for red velvet cheesecake you've been trying to coax out of your sister-in-law for years? She serves it every Christmas Eve, but so far her lips are sealed. These are the types of food traditions that inspire You Be Sweet-a celebration of Southern dessert recipes and the people who cherish them. In this compilation of stories and sweet treats, Patsy Caldwell and Amy Lyles Wilson peek in on those occasions special enough to demand something decadent, and memorable enough to be repeated time and again. You'll find the strawberry jam bars that always make an appearance at the neighborhood picnic. The German chocolate cake roll that pulls in the big bucks at the charity bake sale? That's here too. The blackberry jelly recipe that has graced Mason jars all over the South for decades? It's here, and it's just about the best hostess gift you can offer up. Be sweet? You won't be able to help it!
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.