- Table View
- List View
The story of how one young girl learns to belong after her nomadic childhood comes to a halt.
Maya: "Candace was popular, and she'd picked me. Suddenly that made me popular too. Renee, Darcy, and Briana were part of the package. And now? Now that Candace had decided I was no longer worthy, did any of them give me another thought?" Renee: "It didn't feel right. When Darcy called to invite me to her sleep-over and told me she wasn't inviting Maya it gave me a stomachache." Darcy: "I had to prove where my loyalties lay. I had to show Candace and the others whose side I was on." Briana: "We always, always laughed at Candace's games, no matter what. I thought they were tests, like walking on hot coals or something." Candace: "They'd fall over themselves to show how well they understood me--trying to prove that they felt just as I did. My mom would say that I was lucky to be so important to my friends." Five friends ruled by popular, fascinating, dangerous Candace. Maya is the first to find out who her real friends are in this funny, fast-paced, and perceptive novel set in the war zone of middle-school cliques.
Whether she's swimming in the waves or splash-crashin on her surf board, there's no place ten-year-old Kailey loves more than the ocean. She and her best friend, Tess, feel totally lucky when they find out a resort-mall-movie multiplex is "Coming Soon!" to their beach. TWELVE movie theaters. Cool shops. Maybe even bathrooms! Then Kailey learns the whole truth: developers plan to haul away the rocky tide pools to make a smooth, sandy beach for tourists. Messing with a whole tide-pool universe is just plain NOT OK. Kailey's got a great idea, but she's never tried anything like it before. If she can believe in herself and make it work, there might be hope for the tide pools yet.
This is the story of the diagnosis, hospitalization and treatment of a 15-year-old girl who learns she has lymphoma. The treatment is described in excruciating detail. Izzy has a sense of humor, which lightens the story somewhat, and fortunately she is one of the 88 per cent who survives. There is mild swearing and "bad" language common among today's teenagers, understandable especially in one going through what Izzy goes through. Her life and interests outside the hospitalization are also told.
Mitzi's mother is trying desperately to quit smoking, and her withdrawal symptoms are driving the whole family crazy. But Mitzi has more to worry about than Mom's mood swings. She's got to find a way to get Mike Humphrey, her mad crush, to beam his ultra- smile in her direction. And her best friend, Birdy, is too busy getting chummy with a popular girl named Roxy to help. So when Mitzi tells Mike a huge lie about her mother's condition just to get his attention, she has no one to blame but herself for the trouble that follows.
A delightful collection of poems which answer such questions as: "Do Islands float?" and "Why do birds fly?" A creative way to sneak some sound science into young minds. A scan-quality braille version should be quite readable.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.