- Table View
- List View
Twelve-year-old September lives in Omaha, and used to have an ordinary life, until her father went to war and her mother went to work. One day, September is met at her kitchen window by a Green Wind (taking the form of a gentleman in a green jacket), who invites her on an adventure, implying that her help is needed in Fairyland. The new Marquess is unpredictable and fickle, and also not much older than September. Only September can retrieve a talisman the Marquess wants from the enchanted woods, and if she doesn't . . . then the Marquess will make life impossible for the inhabitants of Fairyland. September is already making new friends, including a book-loving Wyvern and a mysterious boy named Saturday. With exquisite illustrations by acclaimed artist Ana Juan, Fairyland lives up to the sensation it created when the author first posted it online. For readers of all ages, here is a reading experience unto itself: unforgettable, and so very beautiful. Included are interviews with the author and illustrator, plus Chapter 1 of the sequel.
And now it's finally here! Valente's fans will be thrilled to revel in the lush settings, rich characters, and evocative language of September's newest sojourn in Fairyland After all the waiting, dreaming, and planning, September has made it back to Fairyland. However, all is not well there. The last time she visited Fairyland, September sacrificed her shadow to save another. Now, that shadow has become Halloween, the Hollow Queen. As ruler of Fairyland Below, Halloween is stealing shadows from the folk of Fairyland, and with them, their magic. September, determined to set things right, embarks upon a quest to Fairyland Below, a dark, wild place where everything is "slantways, sideways, and upside-down" - even the shadows of her dearest friends, Ell the Wyverary, and the boy Saturday.
"One of the most extraordinary works of fantasy, for adults or children, published so far this century. "-Time magazine, on the Fairyland seriesSeptember misses Fairyland and her friends Ell, the Wyverary, and the boy Saturday. She longs to leave the routines of home and embark on a new adventure. Little does she know that this time, she will be spirited away to the moon, reunited with her friends, and find herself faced with saving Fairyland from a moon-Yeti with great and mysterious powers The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two is another rich, beautifully told, wisely humorous, and passionately layered book from New York Times -bestselling author Catherynne M. Valente.
"I'LL TAKE TWO!" That's what Bibi Branchflower says about everything. She has two houses, two hats (exactly alike), and two silly dogs. But she doesn't have a single friend. When she comes across a beautiful jewel box, of course she wants two of them. Though there's only one like it in all the world, inside two dancers spin. Perfect! The shopkeeper explains that the box is enchanted--all who look on the ballerinas will see sorrow in their faces. Soon Bibi becomes more concerned with her sad ballerinas than with worldly riches. What will make them happy? It is her love that finally transforms them into living, breathing, happy children--and gives Bibi two real friends.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.