The incredible true story of a little Korean racehorse, born in the early 1950s, who became a decorated war hero and beloved mascot of the United States Marine Corps. Semper fidelis, always faithful, was never a more fitting motto than in the example of Reckless, this fearless yet mischievous four-legged marine. Detailed image descriptions included. From the first part of the story, which describes in stirring detail the lives of Kim Huk Moon and his family in a small Korean village and Kim's dedicated affection for the little sorrel mare, we follow Reckless through her war experiences. Bought by a Marine gun crew with their own money and trained to help them carry shells for the Recoilless Rifle which they have nicknamed "Reckless", she is dubbed with the same name and made their mascot. Her antics, and her insatiable appetite for such surprising tidbits as poker chips, coca cola, shredded wheat, scrambled eggs, vitamin pills, a hat or two, and her specially made blanket of red silk trimmed with gold, bring welcome amusement and relief amid the strains of combat. When tested under battle conditions, Reckless shows her mettle, becoming an indispensable member of the USMC gun crew, making trip after trip, often alone, from the ammunition supply point to the gun, laden with heavy shells under the most devastating enemy fire, never faltering, never failing. So completely does Reckless capture the hearts of her Marine comrades with her beguiling shenanigans and her fearlessness that they present her with a special citation for bravery, promote her to the rank of sergeant and personally pay her way to the United States where she enjoyed a well-earned retirement pastured in the rolling hills of Camp Pendleton, in California. Retirement, however, does not mean that her exploits were at an end, because the fame of Reckless spread far and wide, and good Marines, unlike some, do not fade away.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.