Terrorism is surrounded by myths. One of the most enduring of these myths and half-truths is that terrorism never works. In the end, the state will prevail and the terrorists will either be dead or imprisoned or otherwise forced to end their campaign of violence. It is true that most terrorist groups are beaten. Within twelve months of their first attack most terrorist groups have been crushed. Within ten years half of the rest have been beaten. However, a small proportion - roughly one group in twenty - endures and incredibly goes on to win the conflict and beat the governments opposing them. This book is about these triumphs of terror, how and why they happen and what the beaten governments could and should have done differently. It is a book about blunders and miscalculations, of the danger of underestimating a weak enemy and the hubris of empire. It encompasses tales of courage and despair, ruthlessness and tragedy, brutality and hope. In the end, it represents not just one but many warnings from history. About the care that is needed when confronted with terrorism and about just how badly events can go for even the most powerful state if they get it wrong.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.