- Table View
- List View
In a unique approach to career planning, Discovering Your Career matches a career area to the student rather than the student to a career area. This approach focuses on each student's needs and guides the student to pursuing a career based on individual talents and passions. Discovering Your Career addresses current career trends related to technology, workforce diversity, and global markets; explores investigating careers via job shadowing, service learning, and community mentoring; explains and discusses a variety of career and educational options; and emphasizes self-awareness, goal setting, decision making, reduction of prejudice, SCANS competencies, and economic responsibility. Discovering Your Career also promotes future career success by providing students with current and projected career information and by helping them build skills in such vital areas as networking, teamwork, communication, and problem solving.
By emphasizing why lifelong learning is an essential skill for career planning, Investigating Your Career helps students in grades 7 and 8 make the most of their future high school years. This semester-length middle school text encourages students to investigate their own identity and implement career plans that fit their individuality by matching career focus to their interests, abilities, values, personalities and personal goals. The importance of volunteer work and extra-curricular activities is explored as well as educational and work experiences that will help build the skills needed to be successful in a chosen career.
Many states now require or recommend a semester length career course before graduating to high school. This gives students the opportunity to direct their attention toward an area of interest that might develop into a career path and to identify high school and college course offerings related to their career choices. Investigating Your Career, 2e helps students: Identify their passions, talents, values, and goals. Investigate the 16 career clusters with an eye toward their future. Learn critical success skills such as how to budget their money, the value of credit, and how to manage their time. Use practical planning and decision-making tools to develop a personal career plan. Practice the education search skills and job search skills needed to implement their career plan.
By beginning your planning now, you will have a better chance for future success and happiness. Career success starts with your passions, attitude, talents, and heart.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.