Essentials of Social Statistics for a Diverse Society is a briefer version of the successful Social Statistics for a Diverse Society now in its 6th edition. As in the parent text, the context of diversity, illustrated through the use of real data in examples from contemporary social issues, will continue to differentiate this briefer statistics text. Better illustrated with more interesting examples and exercises with aá focus on student learning, will set this book apart from its competitors. Features and Benefits: - The book's informal writing style -- coupled with the use of real-world examples makes the book more accessible and engaging for students. - A focus on race, class, gender and other aspects of social diversity sets the book apart from others in the field and mirrors the major emphasis in the social sciences today. - Reading the Research Literature sections in most chapters help students read and interpret statistical information in professional and scholarly publications. - Learning Checks within chapters engage students in reviewing key concepts and techniques. - Statistics in Practice extended examples show students applications to meaningful social issues. - Heavily illustrated with many charts, tables and graphs - Extensive end of chapter exercise sets.
The approach offered by this book is threefold: 1. ) to humanize the social problems with voices of experience, i.e. the poverty stricken, to the voices of change, i.e. the social workers, policy makers, student community volunteers; 2. ) each chapter will address the consequences and responses to a social problem; 3. ) to provide an effective platform for discussion thru the use of boxed features, learning checks integrated into chapter presentations, discussion questions, and the use of a limited virtual classroom on a companion website. The hallmarks of the book will be its integrated theme of race, class, and gender; emphasis on 'service learning' (which focuses on student awareness of effective community responses to social problems); critical thinking and active learning thru the text presentation and pedagogy to go beyond the often disheartening parade of social problems; and the use of the internet and unique print supplements to expand on what is intended to be a briefer book than most. The book is intended to have a strong U. S. focus with a global perspective interwoven where appropriate. Social Problems offers the following unique features and benefits: Voices in the Community a section in each chapter offering testimony from those experiencing or doing something about social problems Visual Essays in each section to highlight a particular social problem or solution in the context of actual family and individual experiences. Chapters will have photos interspersed. Internet and community exercises at the end of each chapter to present the opportunity for further research and to give students a chance to explore chapter concepts in a direct way in the community What Does it Mean to Me? A feature intended to bring the analysis of the problem being studied down to the level of the individual. Inclusion of four theoretical perspectives for each problem studied: conflict, social interactionist, functionalist and feminist perspectives End of chapter Community, Policy and Social Action sections focus on social policy, advocacy, and community innovation in response to social problems. This feature encourages students to examine and become a part of their own community. This is a unique, service learning-oriented benefit taking students out of the classroom, away from their texts, and into their community. Podcasts recorded by the author for each chapter reviews concepts and focuses on a specific case study.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.