- Table View
- List View
Essentials of Social Statistics for a Diverse Society is a briefer version of the successful Social Statistics for a Diverse Society now in its 6th edition. As in the parent text, the context of diversity, illustrated through the use of real data in examples from contemporary social issues, will continue to differentiate this briefer statistics text. Better illustrated with more interesting examples and exercises with aá focus on student learning, will set this book apart from its competitors. Features and Benefits: - The book's informal writing style -- coupled with the use of real-world examples makes the book more accessible and engaging for students. - A focus on race, class, gender and other aspects of social diversity sets the book apart from others in the field and mirrors the major emphasis in the social sciences today. - Reading the Research Literature sections in most chapters help students read and interpret statistical information in professional and scholarly publications. - Learning Checks within chapters engage students in reviewing key concepts and techniques. - Statistics in Practice extended examples show students applications to meaningful social issues. - Heavily illustrated with many charts, tables and graphs - Extensive end of chapter exercise sets.
The approach offered by this book is threefold: 1. ) to humanize the social problems with voices of experience, i.e. the poverty stricken, to the voices of change, i.e. the social workers, policy makers, student community volunteers; 2. ) each chapter will address the consequences and responses to a social problem; 3. ) to provide an effective platform for discussion thru the use of boxed features, learning checks integrated into chapter presentations, discussion questions, and the use of a limited virtual classroom on a companion website. The hallmarks of the book will be its integrated theme of race, class, and gender; emphasis on 'service learning' (which focuses on student awareness of effective community responses to social problems); critical thinking and active learning thru the text presentation and pedagogy to go beyond the often disheartening parade of social problems; and the use of the internet and unique print supplements to expand on what is intended to be a briefer book than most. The book is intended to have a strong U. S. focus with a global perspective interwoven where appropriate. Social Problems offers the following unique features and benefits: Voices in the Community a section in each chapter offering testimony from those experiencing or doing something about social problems Visual Essays in each section to highlight a particular social problem or solution in the context of actual family and individual experiences. Chapters will have photos interspersed. Internet and community exercises at the end of each chapter to present the opportunity for further research and to give students a chance to explore chapter concepts in a direct way in the community What Does it Mean to Me? A feature intended to bring the analysis of the problem being studied down to the level of the individual. Inclusion of four theoretical perspectives for each problem studied: conflict, social interactionist, functionalist and feminist perspectives End of chapter Community, Policy and Social Action sections focus on social policy, advocacy, and community innovation in response to social problems. This feature encourages students to examine and become a part of their own community. This is a unique, service learning-oriented benefit taking students out of the classroom, away from their texts, and into their community. Podcasts recorded by the author for each chapter reviews concepts and focuses on a specific case study.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.