- Table View
- List View
This academic analysis of, "The Hobbit," and, "The Lord of the Rings," leads Tolkien fans to consider his work in new ways. It suggests that Tolkien's myth conforms to the mythic content, characters and story progressions Joseph Campbell has described. The author also sites evidence that artists are responsible to inspire, not by stating lessons and rules, but by creating complex myths where values are demonstrated by characters' actions and choices, and in which readers can imagine themselves facing the challenges of a quest. She uses many examples of elements of folklore in Tolkien's work as described by Propp and Levi-Strauss. Using a list of lettered and numbered abbreviations, she creates equations which summarize the storylines of the epic from Bilbo's meeting with the dwarves in the Hobbit to Frodo's sailing away from Middle-earth with the elves in the last volume of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. As Petty employs her abbreviations liberally throughout the text, the reader may find it helpful to consult appendix A on page 120 where they are listed. These are followed by Appendix B, schemes of the Tales, notes listed by chapter, a bibliography and an index.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.