This academic analysis of, "The Hobbit," and, "The Lord of the Rings," leads Tolkien fans to consider his work in new ways. It suggests that Tolkien's myth conforms to the mythic content, characters and story progressions Joseph Campbell has described. The author also sites evidence that artists are responsible to inspire, not by stating lessons and rules, but by creating complex myths where values are demonstrated by characters' actions and choices, and in which readers can imagine themselves facing the challenges of a quest. She uses many examples of elements of folklore in Tolkien's work as described by Propp and Levi-Strauss. Using a list of lettered and numbered abbreviations, she creates equations which summarize the storylines of the epic from Bilbo's meeting with the dwarves in the Hobbit to Frodo's sailing away from Middle-earth with the elves in the last volume of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. As Petty employs her abbreviations liberally throughout the text, the reader may find it helpful to consult appendix A on page 120 where they are listed. These are followed by Appendix B, schemes of the Tales, notes listed by chapter, a bibliography and an index.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.