- Table View
- List View
Who can she turn to when life gets tough? April 1941, Hull. Nurse Marie Larsen has grown used to the challenges of keeping Hull Royal Infirmary running during the Germans' attacks on her city. Amidst the sudden power cuts, blown out windows and with wounded civilians pouring into the hospital at each new attack, she always thanks her lucky stars that the latest bomb didn't have her name on it. But when a fresh wave of bombings tears Hull apart, this time tragedy strikes close to home. With her mother now critically ill in hospital, and her father missing, Marie will have some tough decisions to make if she is to keep her younger brother and sister, Alfie and Pam, safe. Amidst the chaos and uncertainty, it is Marie's beau, Chas Elsworth, who alone is able to keep her spirits up via letters and phone calls from his post. So when evidence comes to light that Chas might not be the dependable rock that Marie has come to rely upon - where can Marie turn for support? A gripping tale of ordinary people facing extraordinary challenges, Angel of the North, is perfect for fans of Katie Flynn and Margaret Dickinson.
PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED AS A SOVEREIGN FOR A SONG Far from home and far from friends and family, who can she turn to when misfortune strikes? As a poverty-stricken miner's daughter growing up in the small village of Annsdale, near Durham, fifteen-year-old Ginny Wilde yearns for adventure. But she gets more than she bargained for when her dark good looks, fiery spirit and beautiful singing voice catch the eye of the unscrupulous Charlie Parkinson, her employer's brother. Fleeing the wrath of her irate father when he discovers his daughter's flirtation with the notorious womaniser, Ginny heads for London, where Charlie seduces her and puts her to work on the stage as a music hall artiste. As she embarks on a hugely successful singing career, Ginny remains unhappy at Charlie's continual refusal to marry her and descends into an increasingly disreputable lifestyle. Can she ever find the courage to leave Charlie and return to her beloved north east? And will she ever be able to recapture the heart of her one true love, miner Martin Jude? A riveting tale of one girl's journey from rags to riches and back to rags again. A treat for fans of Dilly Court and Katie Flynn.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.