- Table View
- List View
Electronic Inspection Copy available for instructors here 'A spectacular collection of essays by the most noted theorists of identity. The book well frames the issues around identity that presently are defining living in the early 21st century ... A must read' - Patricia Ticineto Clough, City University, New York 'A wonderfully disparate and impressively distinguished set of authors to address the question of identity. The result is exciting and fruitful. No other book connects so elegantly sociological notions of individualization with the psychoanalysis of melancholy' - Scott Lash, Goldsmiths College, University of London 'A series of cutting-edge papers on the new individualism ... an excellent collection that I would recommend to anybody who wants to understand the state of individuality today' - Mark Featherstone, Keele University Identity in Question brings together in a single volume the world's leading theorists of identity to provide a decisive account of the debates surrounding self and identity. Presenting incisive analyses of the impact of globalization, postmodernism, psychoanalysis and post-feminism upon our imaginings of self, this book explores the complexity, contentiousness and significance of current debates over identity in the social sciences and the public sphere. As these contributions make clear, mapping the contours and consequences of transformations in identity in our globalizing world is not simply an academic exercise. It is a pressing concern for public and political debates. As identity continues its move to the centre of political life, so too do the possibilities for creatively re-imagining how we choose to live, both individually and collectively, in an age of uncertainty and insecurity. Identity in Question is essential reading for all students of self, identity, individualism and individualization. CONTENTS: Anthony Elliott and Paul du Gay Introduction Zygmunt Bauman Identity in a Globalizing World Ulrich Beck and Elisabeth Beck-Gernsheim Losing the Traditional: Individualization and 'Precarious Freedoms' Anthony Elliott and Charles Lemert The Global New Individualist Debate: Three Theories of Individualism and Beyond Drucilla Cornell Heeding Piedade's Song: Feminism and Sublime Affinity Angela McRobbie Top Girls? Young Women and the Post-Feminist Sexual Contract Paul du Gay The Identities of Self-Interest: Performativity, History, Ethics Anthony Elliott The Constitution of the Subject: Primary Repression after Kristeva and Laplanche Jeffrey Prager Melancholic Identity: Post-traumatic Loss Memory and Identity Formation Stephen Frosh and Lisa Barraitser Goodbye To Identity Jessica Evans Cathected Identities: Governance and Community Activism Janet Sayers Psy-Art: Re-Imagining Identity
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.