It has long been recognised that clients with addiction problems need a skilled and thoughtful response when they come into contact with social services. However, students often find that policy and the law surrounding working with drug, alcohol and substance misusers can be complex and often unclear. This fully-revised third edition will help students cultivate the skills required to work effectively with clients and service users who misuse drugs and alcohol. There are clear introductions to the law and to social policy in this area, while the author considers how a holistic approach can be effective when working with this particular client group. Case studies and reflective exercises are used to draw out these key skills. The book also features sections on anti-oppressive practice with a focus on service user empowerment. With this third edition comes new material on social work practice with alcohol misusers, making this book even more essential reading for students and practitioners who want to engage with clients who struggle with addiction.
This student text covers all aspects of working with drug and substance misusers, including the history and changes in policy on substance misuse and the differences between working with young and adult clients. Recent government initiatives and legislative changes are carefully outlined, while discussions on why people take drugs and the policy implications of harm reduction and abstinence approaches to substance use/misuse are related back to practice, so that readers understand how to engage with the client group and the reasons for varying success across treatment approaches.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.