- Table View
- List View
A panel of multidisciplinary experts describes in detail readily reproducible methods to investigate all aspects of the endothelin system from its synthesis and metabolism, to its function in health and disease. Theses methods use state-of-the-art molecular techniques to quantify the expression of mRNA for both endothelin receptors and the endothelin converting enzymes. They show how peptides, precursors, receptors, and synthetic enzymes can be localized and quantified in plasma, culture supernatants, tissue homogenate, and tissue sections using antibodies. Several in vivo protocols illustrate the role of the endothelin peptides in healthy human individuals and describe animal models that can be used to predict the therapeutic potential of cardiovascular drugs that manipulate endothelin synthesis or function.
A comprehensive collection of readily reproducible methods for studying receptors in silico, in vitro, and in vivo. These cutting-edge techniques cover mining from curated databases, identifying novel receptors by high throughput screening, molecular methods to identify mRNA encoding receptors, radioligand binding assays and their analysis, quantitative autoradiography, and imaging receptors by positron emission tomography (PET). Highlights include phenotypic characterization of receptors in knockout mice, imaging receptors using green fluorescent protein and fluorescent resonance energy transfer, and quantitative analysis of receptor mRNA by TaqMan PCR. These book equips the researcher with techniques for exploring the unprecedented number of new receptor systems now emerging and the so-called "orphan" receptors whose activating ligand has not been identified.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.