This simple retelling of Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels focuses on the first voyage--Gulliver's time on the island of Lilliput. It is a great way to introduce newly independent readers to this classic adventure. Gulliver loves the life he's leading. As a doctor on a ship he travels to some very interesting places. But life at sea can be dangerous, too. Gulliver's ship is destroyed in a storm, and it takes every bit of his strength to swim to shore, where he falls asleep all alone. But he is not alone for long! Gulliver awakens to find himself being held captive on an island called Lilliput by people who are only six inches tall! Although they don't trust him at first, soon enough the Lilliputians see how handy it can be to have Gulliver around--at least some of the time. And Gulliver adds another exotic, exciting, and very funny adventure to his life experiences!From the Trade Paperback edition.
If there's one thing I'm good at it's making people laugh because when I'm standing up I'm what you call a stand-up comedian, and when I'm sitting down, I'm just plain funny. Trevor is just plain funny, and he's lucky he is. Because this year he needs a sense of humor. Moving to a new home is hard enough--the sign reads hedley gardens, but everyone calls these projects deadly gardens. And the move to a fancy new school is even harder--all the kids from Deadly Gardens seem to be in the same classes and keep to themselves, but somehow Trevor's ended up in an advanced science class with kids who seem to have everything, and know everything, including how to please their strange new teacher.Someone else might just give up, but Trevor has plans. This is going to be his year. And he is going to use whatever he has, do whatever it takes, to make it at this new school. He may not have what these other kids have, but Trevor knows he's got some stuff to show. No one is better at juggling in soccer, and he knows he can draw--he calls himself the Graffiti Guy. But Xander, a star in the classroom and on the soccer field, has other plans for Trevor. He doesn't like anyone trespassing on his turf and begins to sabotage Trevor at every opportunity. Who is going to believe Trevor over the school star? Is there any way that Trevor can achieve his goals against a guy who is as good at bullying as he is at everything else he does?
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.