- Table View
- List View
Since the beginning of the 20th century, St. Louis' Greek-American community has been a vibrant part of the city's fabric. Through a series of vivid personal accounts of growing up in two worlds during the post-WWII era, Growing Up Greek in St. Louis explores the challenges faced by Greek-Americans as they sought to preserve a rich cultural heritage while assimilating to American ways.From a detailed account of her Grandmothers' struggles during the occupation of Greece during WWII and the Asia Minor Holocaust to the first hand experiences faced by Greek-American children in Greek school, the celebration of name days, and the ever-present "evil eye," the book captures the sense of tradition, history, hospitality (philotimo), and community so vital to the Greek experience.
The author, Aphrodite Matsakis, Ph.D., is clinical coordinator for the Vietnam Veterans' Outreach Center in Silver Springs, Maryland. She also conducts a private psychotherapy practice, specializing in post-traumatic stress disorder and child sexual abuse. In this ground-breaking book, Dr. Matsakis explains that post-traumatic stress disorder affects not just soldiers, but also survivors of many other types of trauma including: crime, family violence, vehicular accidents, sexual abuse, rape and natural catastrophes. "I Can't Get Over It" directly addresses survivors of trauma. It explains the nature of PTSD and describes the healing process. This book will help readers find out whether they have PTSD, cope with post-traumatic anger, grief, and survivor guilt, recognize related problems such as depression, substance abuse, compulsive behavior, and low self-esteem, identify "triggers" that set off flashbacks, anxiety attacks, and other symptoms, relieve wounding caused by others' blaming and insensitivity and gain a sense of empowerment and hope for the future.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.