- Table View
- List View
Seventeen-year-old Silas Umber's father, Amos, mysteriously disappeared a year ago. Unbeknownst to his son, Amos was an Undertaker, responsible for settling the accounts of the dead in the Shadowland, the states of limbo binding spirits to earth. With Amos gone, Silas and his mother move back to Lichport, the town where his father worked to bring The Peace. There, Silas finds his father's Death Watch, the tool that allows the owner to see the dead, and he inadvertently becomes the new Undertaker. Now Lichport's secrets are making themselves known to Silas and it is up to him to settle the town's hidden history. With the help of some unlikely allies, Silas embarks on a path into the Shadowland to take up his new post--and ultimately find his father, dead or alive.s begins to unearth Lichport's secret history--and discovers that he has taken on his father's mantle as Lichport's Undertaker. Now, Silas must embark on a dangerous path into the Shadowlands to embrace his destiny and discover the truth about his father--no matter the cost.
In the conclusion to the Undertaken trilogy that Publishers Weekly called "a thought-provoking gothic fantasy," Silas must master his powers and confront a past that is anything but dead.Silas Umber has returned from Arvale, his family's ancestral home. Frantic to retrieve the shade of his beloved Beatrice, he turns his back on the spectral chaos he has left behind, unaware that the malevolence he unleashed has followed him back to Lichport. As his family and friends suffer and fall at the hands of the vengeful Huntsman from Arvale's sunken mansions, Silas must reach deep into his complicated bloodline to summon powers and wisdom beyond those required of a simple Lichport Undertaker. But the dark and painful secrets of his birth threaten to overwhelm him, and if he can't lay the ghosts of his own past to rest, Silas may lose everything and everyone he has grown to love and worked to protect.
Silas visits the ancestral home of the Umber family in this suspenseful and surreal contemporary ghost story, the second in the Undertaken trilogy.Silas Umber has finally come into his own as the Undertaker of Lichport when an invitation arrives: a mysterious word carved into the door of his house. Intrigued, Silas ventures beyond the marshes to visit Arvale Manor, the ancestral estate of the Umber family. There, he discovers that the extended Umber family may be dead, but they are not gone: Indeed, many of them still dwell in Arvale, waiting for an Undertaker to return and preside over the Door Doom, an archaic rite that grants a terrible power to summon and bind the dead in judgment. As Silas assumes the mantle of Janus, the Watcher at the Threshold, deep below the earth in the catacombs and sunken towers, grim spirits grow restless at his arrival--hungry for freedom and eager for vengeance against a family with a long history of harsh judgments. As the only living Undertaker at Arvale Manor, Silas must put an ancient wrong to right, and accept that even a house of ghosts can be haunted by its past--for in matters of family, we are who we were.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.