- Table View
- List View
Seventeen-year-old Silas Umber's father, Amos, mysteriously disappeared a year ago. Unbeknownst to his son, Amos was an Undertaker, responsible for settling the accounts of the dead in the Shadowland, the states of limbo binding spirits to earth. With Amos gone, Silas and his mother move back to Lichport, the town where his father worked to bring The Peace. There, Silas finds his father's Death Watch, the tool that allows the owner to see the dead, and he inadvertently becomes the new Undertaker. Now Lichport's secrets are making themselves known to Silas and it is up to him to settle the town's hidden history. With the help of some unlikely allies, Silas embarks on a path into the Shadowland to take up his new post--and ultimately find his father, dead or alive.s begins to unearth Lichport's secret history--and discovers that he has taken on his father's mantle as Lichport's Undertaker. Now, Silas must embark on a dangerous path into the Shadowlands to embrace his destiny and discover the truth about his father--no matter the cost.
In the conclusion to the Undertaken trilogy that Publishers Weekly called "a thought-provoking gothic fantasy," Silas must master his powers and confront a past that is anything but dead.Silas Umber has returned from Arvale, his family's ancestral home. Frantic to retrieve the shade of his beloved Beatrice, he turns his back on the spectral chaos he has left behind, unaware that the malevolence he unleashed has followed him back to Lichport. As his family and friends suffer and fall at the hands of the vengeful Huntsman from Arvale's sunken mansions, Silas must reach deep into his complicated bloodline to summon powers and wisdom beyond those required of a simple Lichport Undertaker. But the dark and painful secrets of his birth threaten to overwhelm him, and if he can't lay the ghosts of his own past to rest, Silas may lose everything and everyone he has grown to love and worked to protect.
Silas visits the ancestral home of the Umber family in this suspenseful and surreal contemporary ghost story, the second in the Undertaken trilogy.Silas Umber has finally come into his own as the Undertaker of Lichport when an invitation arrives: a mysterious word carved into the door of his house. Intrigued, Silas ventures beyond the marshes to visit Arvale Manor, the ancestral estate of the Umber family. There, he discovers that the extended Umber family may be dead, but they are not gone: Indeed, many of them still dwell in Arvale, waiting for an Undertaker to return and preside over the Door Doom, an archaic rite that grants a terrible power to summon and bind the dead in judgment. As Silas assumes the mantle of Janus, the Watcher at the Threshold, deep below the earth in the catacombs and sunken towers, grim spirits grow restless at his arrival--hungry for freedom and eager for vengeance against a family with a long history of harsh judgments. As the only living Undertaker at Arvale Manor, Silas must put an ancient wrong to right, and accept that even a house of ghosts can be haunted by its past--for in matters of family, we are who we were.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.