- Table View
- List View
One of the most written-about literary figures in the past decade, Arthur Rimbaud left few traces when he abandoned poetry at age twenty-one and disappeared into the African desert. Although the dozen biographies devoted to Rimbaud's life depend on one main source for information--his own correspondence--a complete edition of these remarkable letters has never been published in English. Until now. A moving document of decline, Rimbaud's letters begin with the enthusiastic artistic pronouncements of a fifteen-year-old genius, and end with the bitter what-ifs of a man whose life has slipped disastrously away. But whether soapboxing on the essence of art, or struggling under the yoke of self-imposed exile in the desert of his later years, Rimbaud was incapable of writing an uninteresting sentence. As translator and editor Wyatt Mason makes clear in his engaging Introduction, the letters reveal a Rimbaud very different from our expectations. Rimbaud--presented by many biographers as a bohemian wild man--is unveiled as "diligent in his pursuit of his goals . . . wildly, soberly ambitious, in poetry, in everything. " I Promise to Be Good: The Letters of Arthur Rimbaud is the second and final volume in Mason's authoritative presentation of Rimbaud's writings. Called by Edward Hirsch "the definitive translation for our time," Mason's first volume, Rimbaud Complete (Modern Library, 2002), brought Rimbaud's poetry and prose into vivid focus. In I Promise to Be Good, Mason adds the missing epistolary pieces to our picture of Rimbaud. "These letters," he writes, "are proofs in all their variety--of impudence and precocity, of tenderness and rage--for the existence of Arthur Rimbaud. " I Promise to Be Good allows English-language readers to see with new eyes one of the most extraordinary poets in history. From the Hardcover edition.
Enduring icon of creativity, authenticity, and rebellion, and the subject of numerous new biographies, Arthur Rimbaud is one of the most repeatedly scrutinized literary figures of the last half-century. Yet almost thirty years have elapsed without a major new translation of his writings. Remedying this state of affairs isRimbaud Complete,the first and only truly complete edition of Rimbaud's work in English, translated, edited, and introduced by Wyatt Mason. Mason draws on a century of Rimbaud scholarship to choreograph a superbly clear-eyed presentation of the poet's works. He arranges Rimbaud's writing chronologically, based on the latest manuscript evidence, so readers can experience the famously teenaged poet's rapid evolution, from the lyricism of "Sensation" to the groundbreaking early modernism ofA Season in Hell. In fifty pages of previously untranslated material, including award-winning early verses, all the fragmentary poems, a fascinating early draft of A Season in Hell, a school notebook, and multiple manuscript versions of the important poem "O saisons, ô chateaux,"Rimbaud Completedisplays facets of the poet unknown to American readers. And in his Introduction, Mason revisits the Rimbaud myth, addresses the state of disarray in which the poet left his work, and illuminates the intricacies of the translator's art. Mason has harnessed the precision and power of the poet's rapidly changing voice: from the delicate music of a poem such as "Crows" to the mature dissonance of theIlluminations,Rimbaud Completeunveils this essential poet for a new generation of readers. From the Hardcover edition.
From Dante's INFERNO to SARTRE'S NO EXIT, writers have been fascinated by visions of damnation. Within that rich literature of suffering, Arthur Rimbaud's A SEASON IN HELL - written when the poet was nineteen - provides an astonishing example of the grapple with self. As a companion to Rimbaud's journey, readers could have no better guide than Wyatt Mason. One of our most talented young translators and critics, Mason's new version of A SEASON IN HELL renders the music and mystery of Rimbaud's tale of HELL ON EARTH with exceptional finesse and power. This bilingual edition includes maps, a helpful chronology of Rimbaud's life, and the unfinished suite of prose poems, Illuminations. With A SEASON IN HELL, they cement Rimbaud's reputation as one of the foremost, and most influential, writers in French literature.
Salvo alguna excepción, escasos son los poetas que como Arthur Rimbaud (Francia, 1854-1891) se atreven a cruzar el límite de la cordura y abrazar el lado salvaje de la creación. Así, su imagen de poeta-niño se asocia indisolublemente con el del furioso iconoclasta, el ángel exterminador. Los dos libros incluidos en esta edición son sus dos obras únicas. Una temporada en el infierno es una composición de ruptura: el adolescente incomprendido y excesivo se debate entre su pasión y su vieja conciencia religiosa; poesía y vida están ferozmente entrelazadas. Rimbaud pertenece a la clase de los brujos y los exiliados; es un vagabundo, un marginal, un "negro". Es decir, se sabe irrecuperable. Iluminaciones, poemas dispersos que fueron publicados tras la temprana muerte del autor, reúne "composiciones breves, prosa exquisita o versos falsos adrede".
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.