Avery Gilbert is one of only a handful of psychologists in America who study olfaction. There's nowhere to get trained directly in the business; you can't enroll for a PhD in Perfume Studies. With What the Nose Knows, Gilbert takes us inside his work and the realm of smell, giving a fascinating account of the familiar yet mysterious world of scent that is grounded in science but often ends up showing us a reflection of our culture. He sets out to answer the questions he is most often asked: Is the ephemeral nature of odours due to their physical makeup, or to the way our brains process information? Do animals have a keener sense of smell than humans, and how can we tell? How do scents--a mere collection of airborne molecules--become powerful carriers of symbolic meaning? Do odors alter our emotions or behaviour, and is it ethical for companies to try to surreptitiously influence customers with scent? The link between smell and memory is well known--but is it actually an illusion?
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.