- Table View
- List View
Avery Gilbert is one of only a handful of psychologists in America who study olfaction. There's nowhere to get trained directly in the business; you can't enroll for a PhD in Perfume Studies. With What the Nose Knows, Gilbert takes us inside his work and the realm of smell, giving a fascinating account of the familiar yet mysterious world of scent that is grounded in science but often ends up showing us a reflection of our culture. He sets out to answer the questions he is most often asked: Is the ephemeral nature of odours due to their physical makeup, or to the way our brains process information? Do animals have a keener sense of smell than humans, and how can we tell? How do scents--a mere collection of airborne molecules--become powerful carriers of symbolic meaning? Do odors alter our emotions or behaviour, and is it ethical for companies to try to surreptitiously influence customers with scent? The link between smell and memory is well known--but is it actually an illusion?
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.