- Table View
- List View
All geoscience students need to understand the origins, environments and basic processes that produce igneous and metamorphic rocks. This concise textbook, written specifically for one-semester undergraduate courses, provides students with the key information they need to understand these processes. Topics are organized around the types of rocks to expect in a given tectonic environment, rather than around rock classifications: this is much more interesting and engaging for students, as it applies petrology to real geologic environments. This textbook includes over 250 illustrations and photos, and is supplemented by additional color photomicrographs made freely available online. Application boxes throughout the text encourage students to consider how petrology connects to wider aspects of geology, including economic geology, geologic hazards and geophysics. End-of-chapter exercises allow students to apply the concepts they have learnt and practice interpreting petrologic data.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.