- Table View
- List View
A novel about the liberation invasion of Guam in 1944, as seen through the eyes of a ten-year-old boy.
Collection of stories about two boys and their experiences with the spirits and other supernatural forces on the island of Guam. "The Taotaomon'a stories in this book were gathered from many of the customers that came to SHIRLEY'S COFFEE SHOP in Mangilao over the past ten years. Some of the stories recount the personal experience of the tale-teller while other stories seem to be stories retold for ages... I have used the names 'Jose' and 'Mariano' for my fictional characters that are 10-year old cousins with no specific last name... Taotaomon 'a are not to be feared but the ancient spirits are to be respected because they are busy on earth completing their task to get to the great beyond. Remember, be polite, ask permission and please say 'excuse me' to avoid offending them." Bill Becker
Sailing ESCAPE to Guam, is a story about a fictitious family of five in a sailboat named "ESCAPE" from California to Guam. They stopped at Hawaii, Marshall Islands, Ponape along the way. They were headed for Guam, when dramatic things happen to the family. Brian, the husband, father and captain is rendered comatose by an accident, some 300 miles east of Guam. His wife, Sharon, who was proficient in domestic duties, didn't have a clue about sailing the boat. Alan, the oldest son, to whom the captaincy of ESCAPE should have fallen, was possessed with a changing hormone mix that interfered with his rational thinking. Steve, the twelve-year-old son and his eleven-year-old sister, Kelly, were determined to sail the boat to a harbor in Guam or at least close enough to land to get help for their ailing father. A maturing process takes place as the children meet each of the challenges presented to them. Though they endured many hardships and surprises, the two young children remained determined to succeed.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.