- Table View
- List View
Describes the experiences of young Blacks who were involved in significant events in the civil rights movement, including Brown vs. Board of Education, the Montgomery bus boycott, and the sit-in movement.
These are just some of the works of art you will find in this stunning collection that pairs twenty poems by distinguished African-American poets with twenty works of art by acclaimed African-American artists. Alice Walkers poem "Women"--about women who "Battered Down/Doors/And Ironed/Starched White/Shirts" so their children would get a good education--is paired with the breathtaking portrait Harriet Tubman, by William H. Johnson. The tender "Little Brown Baby." by poet Paul Laurence Dunbar and artist Romare Bearden's Family reflect the deep love parents feel for their children. African-American identity and history are powerfully evoked in art and poetry about slavery, racism, and black pride. But African-American poetry and art have no boundaries, and these poets and artists explore many other themes as well that, will touch your heart, and dazzle your eyes. This important collection inspires imagination as it pairs splendid poets and artists in a way that has never been done before.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.