- Table View
- List View
Describes the experiences of young Blacks who were involved in significant events in the civil rights movement, including Brown vs. Board of Education, the Montgomery bus boycott, and the sit-in movement.
These are just some of the works of art you will find in this stunning collection that pairs twenty poems by distinguished African-American poets with twenty works of art by acclaimed African-American artists. Alice Walkers poem "Women"--about women who "Battered Down/Doors/And Ironed/Starched White/Shirts" so their children would get a good education--is paired with the breathtaking portrait Harriet Tubman, by William H. Johnson. The tender "Little Brown Baby." by poet Paul Laurence Dunbar and artist Romare Bearden's Family reflect the deep love parents feel for their children. African-American identity and history are powerfully evoked in art and poetry about slavery, racism, and black pride. But African-American poetry and art have no boundaries, and these poets and artists explore many other themes as well that, will touch your heart, and dazzle your eyes. This important collection inspires imagination as it pairs splendid poets and artists in a way that has never been done before.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.