- Table View
- List View
From the book Jacket: Life in the old cathedral town of Vogelsang had gone on peacefully for many years, and life for Anemone and her father had always been a happy one. But strange and disturbing things began to happen. One of the cathedral statues of a foolish virgin disappeared, and also the figure of the gargoyle that spouted above it. The mayor dismissed three of the town's most respected councilors, blaming them for the disappearance. And Anemone, with her dog Winnie, ran away from home-driven to it by the mean housekeeper and her horrid son who had made life miserable for Anemone ever since Father befriended them and took them in. Even Aunt Gundula, a remarkable person who had been Anemone's mother's dearest friend and with whom Anemone took refuge, couldn't-at first- understand why things in the town were at such sixes and sevens. It was unheard of that the songbirds which had always been welcomed back by the townspeople each spring were now being caught in nets by the Mayor and his friends, and that the Mayor had actually forbidden the sale of Easter eggs. This #12; was more than Gundula, who each year painted the most beautiful eggs for miles around, could stand. Slowly, as Easter and the night of the full moon drew near, Gundula, with the help of her cat, her pet mouse, her parrot-and of course Anemone-discovered what was at the root of all the trouble.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.