- Table View
- List View
From the Book jacket: This beautifully written nonfiction narrative, illustrated with handsome, detailed drawings, tells the story of Zaccariah, a zebra stallion, and his family. It follows Zaccariah from his battle- as a bachelor stallion-to win a readymade family of his own, to his role as leader and defender of this band of three mares and their young. It describes the zebras' lives in the Nairobi National Park-the pattern of their days and nights, their relationship to the land, the changing seasons and the other animals in the park. It chronicles the birth and development of Zaccariah's first colt, Zed, and the loss of his youngest mare, Zinnia, to another stallion, and it dramatizes the zebra's perilous existence as a prey animal, constantly threatened by such predators as lions, wild dogs, even man. Coming full circle, with Zaccariah's original family group grown and changed and young Zed now ready to join a bachelor band of his own, this unusual animal biography is a lyrical, evocative, highly informative portrait of zebras-the keen-eyed, swift-footed, striped wild horses of Africa. BETTY DINNEEN was born and educated in England. She lived for six years in Nairobi, Kenya, and has since moved to her present home in San Francisco. She has written numerous articles and books for young readers based on her experiences in Africa, including TheFamily Howl, Lion Yellow, A Lurk of Leopards and A Tale of Three Leopards. STEFEN BERNATH is a native NewYorker. He studied art at Cooper Union and the School of Visual Arts. A full- time freelance artist, Mr. Bernath has illustrated numerous children's books (including Betty Dinneen's The Family Howl), and works extensively in advertising.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.