From the Book jacket: This beautifully written nonfiction narrative, illustrated with handsome, detailed drawings, tells the story of Zaccariah, a zebra stallion, and his family. It follows Zaccariah from his battle- as a bachelor stallion-to win a readymade family of his own, to his role as leader and defender of this band of three mares and their young. It describes the zebras' lives in the Nairobi National Park-the pattern of their days and nights, their relationship to the land, the changing seasons and the other animals in the park. It chronicles the birth and development of Zaccariah's first colt, Zed, and the loss of his youngest mare, Zinnia, to another stallion, and it dramatizes the zebra's perilous existence as a prey animal, constantly threatened by such predators as lions, wild dogs, even man. Coming full circle, with Zaccariah's original family group grown and changed and young Zed now ready to join a bachelor band of his own, this unusual animal biography is a lyrical, evocative, highly informative portrait of zebras-the keen-eyed, swift-footed, striped wild horses of Africa. BETTY DINNEEN was born and educated in England. She lived for six years in Nairobi, Kenya, and has since moved to her present home in San Francisco. She has written numerous articles and books for young readers based on her experiences in Africa, including TheFamily Howl, Lion Yellow, A Lurk of Leopards and A Tale of Three Leopards. STEFEN BERNATH is a native NewYorker. He studied art at Cooper Union and the School of Visual Arts. A full- time freelance artist, Mr. Bernath has illustrated numerous children's books (including Betty Dinneen's The Family Howl), and works extensively in advertising.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.