- Table View
- List View
This first volume of a planned trilogy of memoirs reflects upon the boyhood years of Bill Watkins. The stories take place in Limerick and Wales and are told largely through dialogue. This volume includes a glossary of words and phrases. Watkins also provides the lyrics of some traditional songs.
"This witty true adventure of Celtic culture, language and history opens with twenty-one-year-old Bill stranded in a Gypsy camp with an injured foot, cared for by the beautiful, unattainable Riena. With his prowess on the fiddle and keen interest in their centuries-old way of life, the Gypsies - and Riena - grow to accept Bill as one of their own. He discovers that his Celtic roots may not be so different from the misunderstood Gypsies." "Following the call of the Celt, the hireath - in reality, an excuse to pursue another girl - Bill encounters a raving racist, a giant on a Biblical quest and the shortest lived rock band in history, the Farting Pixies. The narration of Bill's journey is infused with the joy of being a Celt, a culture on the verge of its great revival." "The Once and Future Celt is a sparkling and hilarious tale of identity, the power of family, the origins of language and the opposite sex. It completes a trilogy started by A Celtic Childhood and Scotland Is Not for the Squeamish."
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.