- Table View
- List View
This book summarizes present knowledge of different mechanisms involved in the development of positive and negative consequences of cardiac adaptation. Particular attention is paid to the still underestimated adaptive cardiac responses during development, to adaptation to the frequently occurring pressure and volume overload as well as to cardiac changes, induced by enduring exercise and chronic hypoxia. Cardiac Adaptations will be of great value to cardiovascular investigators, who will find this book highly useful in their cardiovascular studies for finding solutions in diverse pathological conditions; it will also appeal to students, fellows, scientists, and clinicians interested in cardiovascular abnormalities.
Rapid advances in molecular medicine have led to pronounced new developments in experimental and clinical cardiology. In the embrace of modern molecular biology and bridging the gap between the clinical and the genomic, cardiovascular medicine has seen major strides in the understanding of the molecular mechanisms that drive disease progression. The ability to rapidly identify candidate human genes for cardiovascular diseases lends itself to the development of diverse strategies for disease treatment and management. The wide variety of gene expressions proffers excellent targets for novel therapeutics. Gene therapy is steadily increasing in viability and represents a fascinating arena of research and clinical focus. This book is based on two international Mendel symposia on "Genes and the Heart," joint meetings of the Japanese and European sections of the International Academy of Cardiovascular Sciences. Highlighting selected symposia contributions, this book explores the role of molecular biology and genetics in the basic knowledge, genesis, and clinical interventions of cardiovascular diseases.
Molecular Defects in Cardiovascular Disease provides an in-depth discussion of the molecular mechanisms underlying the genesis of cardiovascular defects and the implications this has on current and emerging targeted therapeutics. Divided into three sections, this book covers the scientific foundations of our present understanding as well as the array of clinical manifestations and their treatment. The first section covers Molecular Mechanisms of Heart Disease, with discussion of the development of cardiovascular dysfunction. The remaining two sections provide a more clinical focus. The second, Cardiac Hypertrophy and Heart Failure deals with metabolic derangements, Ca2+ handling, and subcellular remodeling. It illustrates the wide variety of molecular defects which may serve as targets associated with the transition from cardiac hypertrophy to advanced heart failure. The third section, Hypertension and Diabetes, provides molecular rationale for the pathogenesis of hypertension and diabetic cardiomyopathy, as well as highlighting the importance of hormones toward this end. A necessary resource for clinicians and researchers, this book elucidates the experimental basis of the practice of cardiology. It is the culmination of our advances in the understanding of cardiovascular molecular biology and a blueprint for the efficacious use of targeted therapies.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.