- Table View
- List View
Autism presents unique challenges to the families and friends of young people with this condition. Some children with autism seem to be individuals of great contradiction--unable to perform well in one educational area, while having near-genius abilities in other areas. Children with autism may act withdrawn, unresponsive, or unemotional. They may at times seem impossible to understand. Challenges like these lead to many misunderstandings about autism and the abilities of children with this condition. In The Hidden Child: Youth with Autism, you will read the story of Livie and her brother Tucker, who has autism. As Livie and her parents experience the challenges that raising Tucker brings, the reader experiences the turmoil and strength needed to face the emotional roller coaster that autism can cause. As you read, you will not only learn about Livie's and Tucker's experiences. You will also learn facts about autism, what the symptoms of autism are, and where to turn for further information or help with issues related to autism. This book will also teach you about the different educational treatments that are available to help each unique child. Through early intervention, education, and further research, individuals with autism can lead more fulfilling lives.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.